Skip to main content.

Written By Jordan

June 17, 2018, 11:56 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

When arguing a topic, it's important to stick to the subject matter at hand rather than try to move it around by making implied associations.

I have no doubts that Fawkuhl was not a good man and was, in fact, wicked and likely influenced by something profane. But his deeds should not be reflected upon the Faith as an institution.

Not when religion is something built on tradition, on pre-established rites and hierarchies and when the people that swear into it have to give up so much: their inheritance, their family, their fealties. It is not an ordinary sacrifice. That they would want to keep the structural integrity of something they've given up so much to be a part of is not surprising.

And, besides, the Dominus' promulgation does not, in any way, impugn Shamanism from civic life nor does it bar shamans from creating their own organizations to pass down their traditions. Not in opposition of, but beside, the Faith, for those that ascribe in their beliefs.

In short, this isn't a Crusade being declared against Shamanism -- it is simply the exercise of stricter controls of who can pertain to the Faith's rosters at this present moment.

Written By Riagnon

June 17, 2018, 11:54 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Rhea

Picnic? No, no, no! It was a cookout! ... I haven't been reading the things under your bed!

Written By Rhea

June 17, 2018, 11:52 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Belladonna

Well, okay. Have fun rabble rousing and explaining to the citizens of Setarco why you've been challenged by one of the most well-regarded men in the Compact!

Written By Belladonna

June 17, 2018, 11:43 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Rhea

Except I did. I did say that he was taken into custody. After the Convocation, the Iron Guard took Fawkhul into custody. Plain and simple. And no matter how you want to 'pretty' it up, Fawkhul had the title of Dominus removed from him. And given that I knew your cousin FAR better, and more intimately, than you ever could... I'll thank you to cease speaking on what he would have wanted. You clearly knew him not at all.

Written By Rhea

June 17, 2018, 11:39 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Belladonna

Yeah, but then nobody would have pointed out you were massively misrepresenting a matter of historical record! Since you seem to have acknowledged that Fawkuhl was neither A) taken into custody (perhaps the guards were having a picnic?) or B) stripped of his title (he was REPLACED, that's a very different and nicer word), I will consider my good deed for the day well done. I know my cousin wouldn't want you accidentally rabble rousing against an institution that was very important to him!

Written By Lorenzo

June 17, 2018, 11:37 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Princess Gwenna and I attended the Whisper Ball last night. As always, her company company was delightful, and Softest Bliss and Whisper House did an outstanding job hosting the event. Perhaps oddly, Gwenna and I did more talking about dancing than actual dancing, since neither of us wanted to spend the evening stepping on one another's toes. Perhaps I should add dance to the list of skills I need to learn. Why is my list getting longer instead of shorter?

Written By Belladonna

June 17, 2018, 11:36 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Orazio

Perhaps you should check my past postings yourself, Legate. I never claimed that Fawkhul was -charged- with Esera's murder, I said he murdered her. People -saw- him push her from the bridge. Or would you shame the memory of Archduchess Esera Velenosa by claiming that he -didn't- push her physically from the bridge? I myself stated that he was never put to trial, that there was no execution. That Fawkhul simply managed to 'disappear'. Which, if he has not and you are aware of where he -is-, that is information that I am sure everyone from the Iron Guard to the King's Own would love to know. Whether he chose to stand down or not, he still lost the title 'Dominus'.

As to the current situation. If Fawkhul is so innocent of wrongdoing as you seem to be implying that he is, then what is the harm in making the comparison? If he was innocent of all that he was accused of, shouldn't the comparison to the current Dominus then be a good one? Its only if you accept that Fawkhul was guilty of the accusations that the comparison turns ugly.

Written By Orazio

June 17, 2018, 11:18 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Belladonna

To address the accusations that the Duchess Belladonna has passed off as truth regarding the previous Dominus, Brother Fawkuhl:

It is to be advised that the Duchess check her /own/ sources. The former Dominus was never formally charged with, and certainly not convicted, of any crime towards the Archduchess. And, speaking as the man who risked his life to call the Convocation which ended in Brother Fawkuhl choosing to stand down and face judgement for that accusation, to malign a man who never had the opportunity to face public resolution of what he was accused of is both foolish and deeply disrespectful.

And to suggest in /any/ way that Brother Fawkuhl's actions and the Dominus Aldwin's actions might be considered comparable is an insult to the Church itself. You may clarify your position in your recent entries and hopefully rectify your ignorance by doing a bit of quiet research into the matter before spouting off, or I will have the name of your Champion.

Written By Belladonna

June 17, 2018, 11:09 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Rhea

Then perhaps, my dear, you should leave the accounting to those of us who were actually present in the city and knew all the parties involved, instead of recollecting from a single written statement?

Esera was not absolved when she was killed, she had gone to meet the Dominus on Sovereign Bridge, to seek her absolution. When her words were not what the Dominus wanted to hear, he grew wrathful and pushed her from the bridge. The Dominus then fled to the rectory while the Convocation was called, with the Iron Guard standing just outside. With a new Dominus named, Fawkhul was stripped of his own title and taken into custody by the Iron Guard, as lead by Prince Ainsley Grayson and Prince Laric Grayson. From there, well... nobody quite knows. Or if they do, they aren't saying. But he wasn't given trial, nor sentenced, there was no execution. He simply disappeared.

The other High Lords, again, either paid their penance or, in some cases, died and their replacements had not been excommunicated in the first place.

Written By Luca

June 17, 2018, 11:05 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Jorygg

Why Jorygg Crovane, that is just no way to talk to such a devout princess.

Any door would be honored, I am sure.

Written By Alis

June 17, 2018, 11:03 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

I have tried to take several days, so I can reasonably address those who might think the decision made against Aurelian was easy.

But, my temper does not easily cool when it comes to this matter. Any who think it was an -easy- decision, can take a long walk off a short pier. He was family for twenty years, so you can just go screw yourself if you think it was a decision taken at all lightly. You know nothing about my brother if you think he would take any matter of this magnitude and come to any decision easily.

I thank the rest of you for your compassion. I cannot bring myself to speak of my fond memories, because they were false. A cover, a ruse, a way to hide what was truly there.

Written By Clara

June 17, 2018, 11:02 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Orazio

I can understand where the Faith is coming from even if I am entirely in disagreement with the decision. However, I must ask then how the Faith intends to accommodate those who wish to serve the Gods in an official capacity without giving up their traditions. What does The Faith suggest for those who want to serve the Faith and keep their ancestral traditions? We have a lot of upset people here so there naturally should be some diplomatic efforts in place to establish peace around it. A compromise that can be struck to make people feel they are serving the Gods how they feel called to serve.

Written By Ignacio

June 17, 2018, 11 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Aahana

What a wonderfully talented woman. I believe she will bring greatness to her House.

Written By Ignacio

June 17, 2018, 10:59 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Wonderful Reunions (Week 19)

I have been making a lot of progress in my planning and work. It seems like an endless task and it keeps me very busy. However, a wonderful reprieve as my wife has returned from Tor. I do believe I will need to take a few days off.

Written By Fredrik

June 17, 2018, 10:51 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Orazio

From: The Desk of Lord Fredrik RedTyde
Subject: Clarification

I am not a religious scholar, and while I love the Gods as much as most Islanders, and consider myself their servant, I do not dedicate nearly the time or attention that those of the church do to parsing religious matters, so I ask this earnest question in hopes of clarification.

In your Journal post (see post by Orazio of this same date), you said that it was an 'unfortunate trend' of recent years to induct Shav tribes while allowing to them to 'keep their own religions'. Those religions are, by and large, Shamanism. Which, in the North where many of these recent inductions have occured, is, as you say later in your own journal, completely within the bounds of the treaty with the North. Can you reconcile this for me? Are they allowed to keep their faith, or are they not? I understand that they must, of course, recognize Limerance due to swearing an oath on such, as well as recognizing the faith and traditions of the Compact, but this seems something of a contradiction on the surface.

Now of course, if you merely meant that Prodigals are being accepted without being told anything about the Faith of the Compact? Then of course, that is a very valid point, all who bend the knee should be instructed on this and the other salient points of joining with our august coalition.

Written By Clara

June 17, 2018, 10:42 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Preston

Speak for yourself. I speak to my plants and thank my herbs all the time.

Written By Rhea

June 17, 2018, 10:41 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Belladonna

Oh! That's all terribly wrong. I was still living in Stonedeep when THAT happened, but I was following it VERY closely (after the fact mostly, because unfortunately news must travel). It was all very interesting. VERY interesting. At least twice as interesting as Archbarker Peanut (sorry, Archbarker, also I've found better dogs). Dominus Fawkuhl was never taken into anyone's custody, he was not stripped of his title (a Convocation is very serious business), and Esra was reconciled with the Faith. Matters of historical record!

Wait, Esra was the Scholar that went crazy, spread his manifesto and was then slain in 'self defense' by a Sword. Oops. Esera!

Oh, and here's what the current Dominus said about the matter. I keep a copy of the proclamation under my bed. VERY interesting, like I said. Not that I'm planning to convert.

"The Excommunication of the High Lords and their voices was a contentious event in our history. It stirred strife and tore a hole between the Faith of the Pantheon and the Council of Regents. Many saw it as a bold, politically driven move by the Dominus of the time. Brother Fawkuhl, then Dominus, made the decision he had to, when he excommunicated those who supported the Teind; it defies the Laws of Limerance that he was sworn to uphold. His actions since then should not overshadow the seriousness of that message. The overstepping came in forcing that same excommunication, the most serious and dire punishment the Faith can inflict, on those who stood against the Teind."

Written By Orazio

June 17, 2018, 10:35 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

To the Faithful Reader:

Well.

A man takes a bit of time to attend to matters of his own spiritual prayer and meditations, and it turns out that many exciting things happen. I'll not address the matter of Prince Aurelian, nor his impersonator, but to say that I know that seeing justice done must have been a difficult and heartbreaking thing to do, and that I honor that choice, as much as I mourn the hurt it must have caused those who were personally betrayed by someone they believed loved them. May the gods bring balm in time to those wounds.

Now, to the second order of business, namely, the Most Holy's pronouncement and severance of Discipleships for those who remain adherent to shamanic paths and animist traditions. As is often the case with kneejerk outrage, there have rapidly become many misconceptions about what this means and the implications and impact on the Compact. First, let it be understood that while the Faith of the Pantheon has generously tolerated the existence of shamanic paths in the Northlands, a tolerance won by bravery and blood on the part of Redrain and the North, the Faith of the Pantheon holds the Pantheon to be /the/ spiritual guide and authorities of the Compact. The whole Compact. No House is allowed entrance into the Compact without swearing to take on the Compact's ways, traditions, and beliefs - including that of the Faith of the Pantheon.

Traditionally, the Houses of the Compact have been good stewards of this obligation, and have ensured that no one was allowed to bend the knee without truly and fully understanding that to do so meant to no longer be an independent shav tribe, but to be a people of the Compact, and the nobility has traditionally understood why this is necessary - not least of which because the fealty oath itself is sealed by devotion to Limerance and the obligations of vassal and liege are hemmed by Gloria's honor, by the Sentinel's Justice, and by the Virtues of each and every one of the gods. Accepting people who do not wholeheartedly embrace those Virtues is a dangerous thing, for a liege and for the Compact as a whole. Thus, the integration of Prodigals has typically been a thoughtful and careful act, so that these new citizens understand their obligations and requirements.

Sadly, in the last several years, a fad has taken place in all of the fealties of the Compact of embracing large numbers of Prodigals, or even permitting shavs to remain on Compact lands within controlled territories, without ensuring that they are in full understanding of what it means to 'bend the knee'. This has, unfortunately, led to a surge of Prodigals who seem to view Compact membership as a mere convenience, and seem fully inclined to maintain their own traditions, religions, and authorities while paying only the barest lip service to the Compact, and more, seem outraged to discover that this is not, and has never been, the way of the Compact. Sadly, they have been aided and abetted in this outrage by people who have been Compact from birth, and thus truly should know better.

How this impacts the Faith itself is manifold. First, it has created an impression among people who, again, should know better, that if one does not like what a priest of the Pantheon says about a spiritual matter, one can simply find a shaman who will tell them that they are justified or correct - people have behaved as if one can pick and choose whether to be a member of the Faith, or find a random shamanistic path to follow. This is not the way of the Compact, and shall never be the way of the Compact. Further, it is disrespectful to both the Church /and/ those shamans and followers of the animist paths who have painstakingly kept their traditions alive for more than a millennium. Faith - any faith - requires dedication and commitment, and should not be treated as a sulky child treats their parents when trying to wheedle a favorable decision by playing one parent against the other. As the preparation by lieges has not been sufficient to help new Prodigals fully understand what they are agreeing to, the Faith must ensure that a pillar of the Compact's culture remains clear, straightforward, and in line with the traditions that the Faith and Compact were founded on.

Second, it has allowed some disciples who are also shamans in their own right to speak with unwarranted authority on spiritual matters pertaining to the gods. This, unfortunately, has implications for the fidelity of church doctrine and the role of the Disciple in the Church. One should be able to look at a Disciple and see a follower of the Faith who can serve as an exemplar for what devotion to the Church should be. Being a Disciple is not simply about being a good person, or wanting to help - there are millions across the Compact who are very good people who wish to help but who are not Disciples, and the Faith thinks no less of them for it. A Disciple, while not a priest, still serves as a living guidepost and light for those who wish to understand what service to the gods looks like. It requires a firm understanding of Faith doctrine, and a wholehearted embrace of those principles, Virtues, and gods - without the dilution of other traditions and religious leanings which may lead those who look to Disciples away from the true Faith and into apostasy.

Third, there are some who have called this 'religious discrimination'. It is. We are a religion which holds to beliefs and values and doctrines that we wholeheartedly embrace and have sacrificed much of our personal choice to support. We do not accept atheists as Disciples, even when an atheist might be one of the best, purest hearts in the world. And, yes, the Dominus has now proclaimed that we will not accept shamans or those who follow the shamanic paths as Disciples. Their beliefs are not a part of Church doctrine, and to allow them to stand as a Church authority, even in such a minor way, is to suggest that they are - as, unfortunately, the outrage in some quarters about this decision has proved people were beginning to believe. It is to my regret, and with my apologies, that as Legate I ever allowed the situation to progress so far that the Dominus needed to step in and set us right once again.

Fourth, there are those who have suggested that this is the opening act to a new doctrine of oppression against the shamanic paths. It is not. The ancient treaty with the North holds - so long as the shamanic paths police themselves rigorously and without fail for corruption and apostasy, and those who adhere to them also abide by and pledge their faith to the Faith of the Pantheon as they are bound to by oath, the Church has no quarrel with the continuance of ancient provincial traditions. The Faith will continue to support followers of the shamanic paths with education, healing, protection, food for starving, shelter for the homeless, sanctuary for the heart-wounded, and all of the services that we have always provided, and we will always welcome worshipers who come to shrines with open hearts and love for the gods, whatever other traditions they might also respect. Some writers have characterized this decision as putting animists out of the Faith. This is untrue. All of the people of the Compact remain children of the Church, and members of the Faith, whether they also respect their ancient traditions or not - until and unless a person puts themselves out of the Faith through heresy, apostasy, blasphemy, or acts intolerable by the gods. If you are not using your ancient traditions as a way to lead people into darkness, to encourage worship of corrupted things, or to encourage rebellion against your lawful lieges, the Crown, or the Church, then you have nothing to fear from either the Faith or the Compact in paying your respects to the past.

As is characteristic of all of his decisions, the proclamation by the Dominus has been undertaken with thought, care, wisdom, and - first and foremost - with the devotion and love of the gods and the people of the Compact in his heart. It is my sincere hope that his words can be extended the smallest amount of charity in return.

Written By Belladonna

June 17, 2018, 10:18 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Sparte

Actually... and here is where I will part of the secret of the creation of seasilk... drape it on a line, or hang it loosely as the case may be, and let it dry in the sun and wind. Once the garment is dry, apply just a little steam to allow the fabric to loosen back to its luxurious state.

What, you didn't think the striation of color was -all- in the dyes, did you? The sun is key!

Written By Kenna

June 17, 2018, 10:13 a.m.(1/12/1009 AR)

Relationship Note on Sparte

Air dry it for sure! Try to keep it out of direct sunlight though, the colors will fade faster.

I fully support you learning more about seasilk.

Please note that the scholars may take some time preparing your journal for others to read.

Leave blank if this journal is not a relationship

Mark if this is a private, black journal entry