Skip to main content.

Eyre Fells

With the weather warming, a group of adventurers have decided to visit the Eyre Fells, one of the most beautiful regions near Stormwall. There have been rumors of shav'arvani raiders in those areas however, and those who have joined the expedition have been asked to aid the townsfolk of the fells if they should require it.

[OOC: This is a PRP adventure open to anyone interested in a survival story in the wilds. Expect some combat, and various opportunities for problem solving sure to lead to glory or hilarity. I'm hoping to run for 5 people. If you're interested in joining, please @mail Rysen.]

Date

July 3, 2019, 9 p.m.

Hosted By

Rysen

GM'd By

Rysen

Participants

Tescelina Alecstazi Delilah Mikani Arthen Elgana Rowenova

Organizations

Location

Outside Arx - Northlands near Stormwall - Eyre Fells

Largesse Level

Small

Comments and Log


Arthen wields a dire-sized ashwood crossbow with rubicund fittings.

Alecstazi wields Abide, a rubicund glaive with serpentine engravings.

Alecstazi wields a steel backsword with serpentine guard.

Ondine, a red-breasted sparrowhawk arrives, delivering a message to Alecstazi before departing.

After spending some nights exploring the city of Stormwall proper, Lord Rysen Crovane has led a group of adventuers into the northland wilds just east of the city. The group moved at a leisurely pace through grassy rodes and eventually arrived at a small inn called The Butter Churn. The party spent the night with the intention of arising with the dawn to explore the fells and the hot springs hidden in their heights.



As the dawn breaks, and everyone has eaten, the party gathers outside with any gear they may wish to take. A middle aged man rushes towards Rysen, out of breath, and says, "m'Lord! Wait!" After catching his breath, the man explains that shav raiders have been moving through the area, and have attacked several of the villages near the fells. Rysen frowns. "And the wurst part is, m'Lord," says the man. "Gidlwald has betrayed us. He let the raiders move undetected while he wus on watch."



Rysen turns to his traveling companions and says, "I truly apologize, but I should see to this Gidlwald's trial." He turns to his retainer Lygeia and says, "Please guide them up to the springs," and turning to Rowenova, he adds, "and keep a sharp watch. If there are shav raiders in the area, they may still be in the fells."

"Y'know, I was skeptical, but the Butter Churn wasn't s'bad as I was thinkin' it might be.", Arthen Dayne tells the gathered group, looking all geared up and prepared for whatever the day might bring. He's definitely been on an adventure or three in his day. He knuckles Rowenova's shoulder though, just playful-like as he adds, "I mean, minus Nova's snorin' all night. Dang, Nova. I never knew. That place is goin' to need thicker walls by far." He cocks a grin at the wilderness scout and maybe there's more to add but then everyone's interrupted and some mounting concern crosses the explorer's face, "Well that don't sound good. You see to that, Lord Rysen! I bet all them shav raiders are off doin' their shav things and whatnot. We are probably goin' to be just fine!". How reassuring!

At the invitation from Lord Rysen, Tescelina Wyrmguard was more than agreeable to visiting the city of Stormwall and fulfilling her desire to chart the Northlands sky at night. During their stay at The Butter Churn, she managed to make a few notations but was assured, further along near the fells, that when night came the view would be spectacular. In the morning, she arrived with the others garbed in her knightly regalia. Silvery plate armor that was well worn in along with some leathers suitable for travel. The color tones were violet, but hued enough that no brightness remained in them. Such was her want, the rather muted and quiet creature that she was to others. Still, rapier and dagger upon her hips, she wore a small sabretache with supplies for travel. One hand rested on sword hilt, the other at her side. With Rysen's departure, she curtsies, and awaits Lygeia's escort to the springs. Very not chatty, she did linger near Delilah however and it was hard to tell if this was not as some protective measure to the Duchess or her own comfort of the familiar -- though likely both.

Alecstazi stands next to his massive roan stallion and frowns a little, looking to Rysen, "I am sorry to hear that, Lord Rysen." He mounts up on his horse and then looks to Arthen as he teases the scout. "I heard nothing, Scout Rowenova." He offers her a wink, and then says, "I quite enjoyed the stay. I have a feeling I will need to get used to Northern cusine though."

Ondine, a red-breasted sparrowhawk arrives, delivering a message to Alecstazi before departing.

Seeing the night sky means staying up late, and the clearer skies away from Stormwall provide a stunning view over the constellations. Staying up with Tescelina to help with that, the young woman doesn't show much sign of having suffered for a loss of sleep. A light cloak hangs over her armour, but armoured she is, showing clear and ready signs of heading out into the wilds. "I look forward to reaching the heights. It's a far cry better than the frozen-over falls a few of the Explorers dug out back in February," she murmurs sidelong quietly to Tescelina. Her smile holds a ready candor, even as Rysen is called away by pressing matters. A familiar nod there; in some ways, the business never escapes those bound to it.

Some people are naturally morning people - all perky and bright and full of sunshine. Elgana is not a morning person. At all. She rises, but it takes her a little while to get going, but after the meal when they have all gathered around, she's perked up enough to not look grumpy at all, not a cloud in sight! At least there wasn't until Bad News ran up to them. She listens to the man as he addresses Rysen, concern filling her dark eyes until they are practically drowning it. "You must do as you must," the Redrain royal says to Rysen. "Is there anything we can do to help?" She looks at the others gathered, pausing at Rowenova to give the Scout a warm smile and an aside of, "I didn't hear anything either." The smile remains, though that bright sunshine warmth banks once more at the mention of the shavs. Standing nearby Arthen she murmurs to the Redrain 'Historian', "I imagine you've spent some time this way, hm?"

Rysen grins at Arthen's confidence and nods. He reaches into his pack and pulls out some rope and a grappling hook. "There are some places where the climb can be difficult," he says. "Just in case." He smiles, and bows, and then turns to make his way after the villager to the nearby village.



Lygeia says to Alecstazi, "I'm afraid you will not be able to take your horse far, Your Highness. This is the best place to stable your mount for a time." Lygeia grins at Elgana's remark and begins to lead the group along a grassy path near a bubbling stream. The grass is abundant this time of year, and a light wind blows the great grey clouds overhead. Wild flowers are everywhere, and sheep pass by, grazing in the morning light. The land has a fair amount of trees as well, all green with the springtime, though, for the most part, they do not grow thickly together.

Rysen gets a coil of hempen rope from a reinforced canvas shoulder bag with drawstring cords.

Rysen gets a steel grappling hook from a reinforced canvas shoulder bag with drawstring cords.

Arthen checked perception + survival at difficulty 30, rolling 24 higher. Arthen rolled a critical!

Tescelina checked perception + survival at difficulty 30, rolling 34 higher.

Alecstazi checked perception + survival at difficulty 30, rolling 12 lower.

Elgana checked perception + survival at difficulty 30, rolling 31 higher.

Nova carries along a bacon/cheese/egg biscuit in her left hand and hears out Arthen Dayne before mock arguing, "Hey! Snoring is for the weak, so that is not something that I would ever do!" She hip bumps him as she looks up with grateful regard for Alecstazi and Elgana, "Thank you!" Back to Arthen, "See?" After Rysen's words, Nova speaks up, "Will do, My Lord." With a soft smile to Lygeia, Delilah, Tescelina, and Flop (who seems to follow Delilah around). Moving along, she watches out for any of those reported shavs.

Rowenova checked perception + survival at difficulty 30, rolling 86 higher. Rowenova rolled a critical!

Ondine, a red-breasted sparrowhawk arrives, delivering a message to Alecstazi before departing.

Tescelina bobs her head in a nod as they begin their trek. She keeps vigilant, a questing knight knows well how to stay observant out in the wilds. "I must imagine so, yes. Though there is a beauty to the frozen world -- so long as its transitory." Added then, as an aside. She almost smiles, however, reaching out her hand she makes motion toward something. "Oh," the knightess murmurs. The indication of her hand is to a man's body, beneath an oak tree. Scavengers have seen to much of his flesh. A spear through his abdomen. "It seems we ought remain cautious." Her brows cinch, momentarily disturbing the expressionless serenity her features so often enjoy. Jaw tensing.

Arthen Dayne seems to back Lygeia up on that whole no-horses thing, though he does it a little apologetically and gentle-like, "She ain't wrong, Prince Alecstazi. We could get that horse stuck somewhere and let me tell you, that is about an awful way to lose a horse. They get scared, stubborn, start throwin' them back legs around and before you know it I am flyin' off a cliffside because I am always the guy standin' behind it.", he remarks, but his attention's back to Rowenova with another grin as she takes aim back at him. "All I see is some folk we best not leave on watch if it comes to that! Who could have missed that snorin'! I thought a bear was breakin' in." The explorer laughs, it's all in jest, and he moves with the group as they're lead through the wilderness. He does have this to say to Elgana, "I reckon I have been through here, but not for a long spell. Me and good Scholar Oswyn kinda skirted the place when we came around a few winters back. You keep your eyes sharp now, Princess Elgana."

Alecstazi nods to Lygeia and nods, "Well that's a shame, for me, not for you, brute." Alec pats his horse on the neck and hands the reins off to one of the stablehands. He rolls his shoulders and peers towards the guides, "So these Fells have hot springs then? And potential shavs."

"A great deal of beauty, but not without danger. The height of those falls and the ice caves behind could claim lives easily," she explains softly. Ascending the path step by careful step, Delilah takes in the natural surroundings with a keenly curious eye. The hound roving where he will receives a good many smiles; Sir Floppington is otherwise not interrupted, left to his own devices. Far more concerning for her is Tescelina's announcement, the Wyrmguard's warning bringing her to a stilled halt on the path. Tugging at her gloves, she gives the others around them a thoughtful look. "Potential shavs," she murmurs sidelong to Alecstazi quietly. No more, no less. Whatever they have isn't confirmed fully, though her mirth ebbs away a fair bit. The spear receives a measured glance, then she asks Rowenova in a low undertone, "Would there be any familiarity to the design of that?"

Normally one to crack up and banter away with Arthen, Nova suddenly stops to point out toward waving grass near the flowing stream. With her voice tight, Nova speaks up, "A small child. Why would they ever shoot a little kid?" Quietly growling, now, she might sound like that bear Arthen just mentioned, if she was not currently outlined in wolf pelt as a preemptive association. Cobalt blue gears away its somber gaze from the dead youth, to look forth to the speared man, too. "I would say it was a shav spear, myself."

Sir Floppington pads up to the dead child and mournfully whines. Not happy!

What little levity drains from Alecstazi at the mention of a dead child and the Prince glances to the women present. He moves into a protective stance near them, Elgana and Delilah specifically. "It would appear that we are going to need to find the murderers. Are you comfortable continuing on, or would you rather retreat to the Inn?"

Lygeia kneels first beside the corpse of the man Tescelina found. Her expression is dark, and she holds out her hand before it, saying something softly in Northlands Shav. When Rowenova mentions the child, Lygeia visibly winces. She turns to Alecstazi and says, "I would say they appear at least a few days old. It is still dangerous, but we can still reach the hot springs before too much time passes, but, more than that, I would like to see if there are any other signs of attacks higher in the fells. If anyone wishes to turn back, of course, you are most welcome, and the path is a straight to the east."

"Sharp eyes," Elgana says to Arthen then, a firm nod given as the Redrain does precisely that. Everything gets looked at as they start their way out. She looks here, she looks there. She looks dang near everywhere! She might be a hawk-eyed thing for all it seems today as she points out little details here and there - flowers of a particular variety not seen farther south; pretty rocks; the way sunlight smacks right into individual bits of armor. It might be a little annoying after a while as she is pretty chatty but she keeps close to Arthen and Rowenova giving those two the brunt of her chatter. But that chatter stops as Rowenova points out a small child, but Elgana doesn't keep her gaze that way, as she winces. "That's horrible," she breathes out, shivering. As Alecstazi moves into a protective stance, it gets Elgana to shift as well, looking around.

Tescelina walks by Alecstazi or around him rather, "Excuse me," and toward the path Sir Floppington has taken. She examines the child through the tall grass and murmurs something to them, taking a moment to kneel. Rising again to her full height the knight says simply, "We continue on. As the goodwoman has stated," her nod is toward Lygeia. "The path we are on will lead us to answers. Nova, yes?" She looks to Rowenova and gives Flop a scritch behind the ear. "Do you think you could pick up a trail?"

Once Rowenova points it out, it doesn't take Arthen Dayne long to get his eyes on the bodies. The humor sort of melts off his face and his smile thins out into a grim expression even as his old soldier's instincts kick in and he unslings his crossbow, "It looks like you are goin' to get more adventure than you bargained for, Princess Elgana.", he tells her all too apologetically. People are checking the corpses, so the explorer keeps his eyes peeled all around them while they have at their investigation. He nods along with Lygeia's assessment, "Yeah, anyone goin', might be good if we find out the extent of what's goin' on around here. May be more dead or just wounded what need our help." He checks his rack of crossbow bolts with a good and gentled slap even though he knows for sure they're there.

Mention of a child darkens the Crownlander duchess' expression, an ashen shadow unable to find much purchase over the sun-kissed complexion. Delilah tilts her head a fraction to Rowenova's statement, and she slides a bracelet from beneath the margins of her sleeve and her leather. Details presented, she casts a look between the trio of guards surrounding her general presence. "I can say a prayer for them to the Queen, and perhaps we can see to them later," she agrees. Lygeia's readiness halts her from doing much else, though that hesitation tells she might deal with it. "One has to question the motive for harming a child. Halting an alarm, or simple cruelty? Otherwise, I can manage from here."

Alecstazi nods to the others and seems willing to continue on. "Should we... take care of the body? We should not leave her here for more scavenging?" He looks to Delilah at the mention of tending to them later. "We should at least... weigh down a tarp or something?" His voice is stilted, his expression grim as he looks to the dead child. His fingers tighten on the shaft of his glaive.

Sir Floppington begins to snuff the ground near the body and moves in a wide semi-circle. The dog begins turns back to Rowenova and then moves to track the scent. Lygeia nods to Tescelina, with a firm look of respect and resolve, and seems relieved that the others have also agreed to continue moving through the fells. Lygeia says to Alecstazi, "Indeed, Your Highness. I know these lands well, and I swear to all the spirits that I will return to see their bodies taken care of, and their families told of their unhappy fate." Sir Floppington continues to move northward, and Lygeia seems inclined to follow.

Nova curiously watches Sir Floppington do what he does then pulls around her recurve bow into her ringed hands, gets out a new arrow, and sets up the archery weapon for future use. "Good boy." she quietly mentions before then nodding once to Elgana then replies back to Tescalina, "Yes, My Lady." Then, "Please do, Duchess Delilah."

Rowenova wields

steel reinforced recurve hunting bow.

"Isn't it just like you said? Sometimes you get more than you bargain for," Elgana says to Arthen, her expression tight and grim. She doesn't entirely move from her spot so much as continue to survey. Any prone body she sees gets skipped over, eyes squeezing shut before she looks toward Delilah and Alecstazi and offers them a flash of a grateful smile. "Yes, the bodies should be seen to as is proper. Thank you, Lygeia." She gives Rysen's assistant a flash of that grateful smile before she finally takes a step away from Alecstazi as she watches Rowenova and Sir Flop.

Lygeia leads the group northward through the mild sloping hills, as the wind moves through the grasses and patches of wild flowers following Sir Floppington. The stream to the west begins to broaden, and soon Sir Floppington stands attentive, gazing up at the large rock formations and the first rushing waterfall of the fells. The stony crags from which the water makes its way from the higher fells into the stream below leave some places for hand holds, though there is abundant slippery moss and lichen. As those following Flopington and Lygeia gaze up the faintest sound of a high pitched scream rises over the roar of the water, seeming to come from somewhere up above.

Tescelina is walking along, following the hound and the dour Lygeia. one hand is resting on her rapier, beneath the hilt, in a steady forward gait. Yet the scream alerts her, cascading over the rushing water, and without thinking she moves forward quickly. "There," the knight gestures above. "Lead us up there."

Alecstazi inclines his head to Elgana, murmuring, "Your highness." He follows along with the rest of them, and the sheer beauty of the place does wear a little of that grimness from him. Some, but not all. He stares out at the scenery, clearly appreciating the rough beauty of the place. Though, when that scream is heard, his brows furrow and he nods to Tescelina, "Someone is in clear danger."

Tescelina checked dexterity + athletics at difficulty 45, rolling 2 higher.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + athletics at difficulty 25, rolling 6 lower.

Ondine, a red-breasted sparrowhawk arrives, delivering a message to Alecstazi before departing.

Arthen checked dexterity + athletics at difficulty 25, rolling 11 higher.

Tamorin, a bubbly Whisper apprentice arrives, delivering a message to Alecstazi before departing.

A scream like that? Well that's the sort of scream that'd curdle milk and send a shiver down a man's spine and Arthen Dayne's got more spine than milk so a shiver runs down it real cold-like and he doesn't waste time, "Princess Elgana, keep them steps high, let's get ourselves up there but don't rush it. Ain't nobody any good to anyone who might need help if someone goes tumblin' back down and gets themselves injured." He gestures the royal in front of him to better keep an eye on her footing and makes for the danger. At a sensible pace.

It's something quite hard to believe, the instant reaction of the Wyrmguard Knight. Tescelina rushes past the others and begins to free climb the craggy stones of the cliff ascending the waterfall as if carried on a breeze with the lightness of each step. However, let it be known, she has to keep moving as fast as she is or she'd really, really fall. But eventually the knightess reaches the top faster than the others. Already her sword gleams brightly from its scabbard with the white heat of that diamondplate blade.

Elgana stops moving as that scream sounds but Arthen's words are enough to get her moving again. High steps? Elgana keeps moving but she takes her pace slow and steady, not quite a turtle but she isn't racing anyone either. Some nervous laughter leaves her as she looks back to the adventurer-explorer. "Last thing I plan on doing is making things worse by getting myself hurt. Slow and steay, but quick and careful." That's the motto at any rate, as she continues onward in front of Arthen.

As if in direct opposition to Tescelina's grace and swiftness, the Thraxian Prince gets about twenty feet up the switchback and promptly slips on a loose stone and tumbles about ten feet. It isn't a disaster, however, and he does catch himself before anything worse can happen. He looks up at Elgana and Arthen and mutters, "I think you have the right of it, Arthen." He gets himself up onto his feet and moves to follow Elgana and Arthen the rest of the way.

10 inflicted and Alecstazi is harmed for moderate damage.

A piercing shriek reduces any idea this is a pleasure jaunt into the fells, out to appreciate the geography. Delilah utters a sound at the back of her throat, and unslings the bow from her back. The rearrangement of gear does not take long, although the preference for using the weapon could be questionable at best. Light upon her feet, she falls in after Arthen and Elgana at a pace considerably mindful for loose stones and other troubles besides. Not about to rush her way along either, she takes up the rear with a slender arrow plucked from a quiver and set to her bow.

Tescelina swiftly reaches the top and draws her diamondplate blade from its scabbard. About sixty feet northeast of her, an enormous brown bear has risen on its hind legs, roaring with unbridled ferocity. At its feet is a man prone, and rushing away from both the man and the bear is a woman with a boy in her arms, screaming in Northlands Shav. The bear brings a massive paw down on the man below it, and sinks its teeth into the man's forearm.

Tescelina rushes in the direction of the beast. As she goes, her parrying dagger is drawn from its scabbard as well. There won't be much parrying, but two-stabs are better than one. As every knight knows. The much larger foe apparently is not enough to stop her from rushing to the aid of others. She'll gain its attention with the rapier, giving the woman and child time to escape. "Go to safety," she commands, "I will handle this."

The look on the woman's face is one of sheer disbelief as Tescelina rushes forward. The woman says something in her language to the boy in her arms, and turns to face the bear, drawing her own axe from her belt. She screams a battle cry and moves in behind Tescelina.



Hearing the woman's screams the bear rises again on its hind legs and bats the man's body to the side with one might stroke. It begins lumber toward the women at a quick pace.

Tescelina checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 27 higher.

Tescelina checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 15, rolling 26 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + brawl(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 21 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + brawl(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 63 higher.

Rowenova checked dexterity + brawl at difficulty 15, rolling 43 higher.

Rowenova checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 15, rolling 33 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked strength(5) + brawl(5) at difficulty 1, rolling 53 higher.

54 inflicted and Tescelina is unharmed.

The light-weight metal sings through the air and digs into the bear's left arm then slices through before the retaliation of the heavy blow to her right leg. Tescelina tenses her jaw, the bulk of the blow soaked by her armor. Undaunted, but knocked back a few feet, she rushes back in with those weapons glinting in the morning light.

Arthen checked dexterity + archery at difficulty 15, rolling 47 higher.

Elgana checked charm + empathy at difficulty 30, rolling 69 higher.

Arthen Dayne's a little ways behind Tescelina's assault, making sure Princess Elgana finds her way up ahead of him and that the footing is picked out all nice-like behind him for Duchess Delilah and Prince Alecstazi, but just because he's late to the party doesn't mean he can't make an entrance. The explorer's arrival heralds his razor-sharp wit as he calls out.. "Hey.. bear!", and levels his oversized crossbow at the beast in the same breath as he takes a knee. "See what I did there?". No. Nobody does. Especially not the large beast, who suddenly sprouts a crossbow bolt from the eye as Dayne fires.

Delilah checked perception + survival at difficulty 25, rolling 43 higher.

Oh. Elgana knows the sound of an angry bear anywhere, and it is enough to get her to pause, again. But there she is, and there's a bear, and then a child is running straight for her as Tescelina seems to be having a bit of a discussion with the bear. Elgana glances behind her just in time to see Arthen and his crossbow, but there's no time as movement forces her to turn away from the action and toward--a child?! The Redrain doesn't miss a beat as she steps forward into the path of the fleeing child and wraps her arms around them. "I've got you! I've got you," she says to the boy as she shifts him away from the battle, murmuring comforting things to the shaking boy. She starts to check him over for any wounds while she keeps a protective watch over him. "You are safe now. I won't let anything hurt you." Her jaw sets as she looks back toward the scene.

The bear roars in agony as the Tescelina's blade slices its arm, and Arthen's bolt pass into its eye. Its is now frothing at the mouth, enraged with its full attention on Tescelina.

Being towards the back of a group in general presents a certain danger to those ahead of her, especially when it comes to the matter of possibly having an arrow going astray. No one desires that unpleasant outcome, for a surety. Delilah refrains from taking casual aim at the bear, instead turning her focus to the inbound mother holding her terrified child. Rather, she starts reversing her way down the path, hand running along the rock for balance and the search of something. Maybe she left the keys to the manor up there! Very helpful is the First Seeker. But what she seeks becomes a matter of preference as she almost vanishes around a curve. Mostly. "This way!" she calls out with the aplomb of someone used to attracting that kind of attention. "Princess, they can take shelter back here without being in sight of the bear. It won't be a comfortable fit, but we can keep them safe." If. The unspoken if hangs in the air.

Alecstazi checked command + animal ken at difficulty 15, rolling 11 higher.

Alecstazi dashes forward, his glaive flashing, trying to draw the attention of the resentful bear, as he calls on his knowledge of aggro animals. He roars at the bear, using his glaive to make himself look bigger and more threatening, the display drawing the bear's rage towards him, rather than Tescelina.

Tescelina checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 27 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + brawl(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 39 higher.

Tescelina checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 15, rolling 24 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + brawl(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 56 higher.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 27 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked strength(5) + brawl(5) at difficulty 1, rolling 62 higher.

63 inflicted and Alecstazi is harmed for moderate damage.

Tescelina stares down a giant bear with both weapons out to the side. She catches sight of someone in the corner of her gaze, Alecstazi attempting to draw attention. "Wait--" The knight lashes out but the bear knocks her blade aside, forcing her to recover as it turns that fury on the prince.

Arthen checked dexterity + archery at difficulty 15, rolling 51 higher.

When Arthen Dayne plugs the eyehole of the great beast with a rubicund-tipped crossbow bolt and it doesn't shake loose from the attack, he sort of grumbles to himself, "Well okay, bear. But you made me do this.", while kicking one foot out hold the crossbow in place while he demonstrates how gracefully quick he can reload the thing. Dayne levels it again and takes a deep breath, squeezing off another shot on the wave of his steadying exhale. KA-CHUNK. That oversized contraption of his sends another bolt cutting through the air to slam deep into the bear's upper body. "Take it from the bees!", he shouts helpfully, "Go for the eyes and the mouth!".

Elgana gathers the boy up at Delilah's call and herds him with gentle urgency back away from the bear and to that shelter. "Good idea, Duchess." To the boy she keeps making soft, soothing sounds, holding his attention and focus off of the sounds of the battle and the bear. "It's going to be just fine," she murmurs. "I promise we won't let anything happen to you."

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 23 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + brawl(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 49 higher.

There is another roar from Alecstazi as the bear's teeth sink into his upper right arm arm and elbow. The Prince snarls and tries to drive the glaive upwards into the beast's throat, but the angle is wrong. The bear swats at the glaive, but is forced to release the Prince's armored arm as he does. Alec backpedals to a safer distance and attempts to find a better approach.

Tescelina checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 42 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + brawl(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 37 higher.

"You have to go on a little adventure," Delilah speaks to the boy, her tone full of wonder and a decided enthusiasm found in someone very familiar in dealing with recalcitrant toddlers. "I found this gap in the rocks over here. Did you see it on the path? The sun shines down so we won't even need a light. But you can be a hero and show us the way. An explorer!" The gesture of her hand gently indicates where that notch in the stone is, revealing a snug hideaway of sorts. Enough that mother and child can slink inside, and Elgana too if she wishes. It might not be easy, but it counts. She calls out to the woman bearing an axe, "You can come here with your husband! It's a safe place!"

Tescelina checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 15, rolling 38 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + brawl(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 32 higher.

Rowenova checked dexterity + brawl at difficulty 15, rolling 31 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + brawl(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 50 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked strength(5) + brawl(5) at difficulty 1, rolling 65 higher.

66 inflicted and Rowenova is harmed for moderate damage.

The woman wield the axe who had been standing behind Tescelina bolts for the shelter Delilah found. She shouts frantically to Elgana in Northlands Shav, and tears stream down her face as her boy rushes into her arms.

Nova lets out a war cry from her mighty lungs of Northern origin before then charging forth, jumping up, and flying leaping at the shaggy bear who is suddenly entangled with her wiry limbs. Except... her right shoulder was in the wrong place at the wrong time, ending up the bear's maw with all those sharp teeth chomping down through her leather armor. Despite a red rain of added crimson to the violent scene, she only groans and does not cry out because that would be too weak to do! Meanwhile, Sir Floppington runs up, baying loudly in a mournful way!

"Your Highness," Tescelina speaks in a clear voice, "Please be more cautious." The bear roars on que and steps forward with a wide swipe. The knight gracefully eases back with the flow of her hair following after her and then, like a bolt of lightning across the earth, she thrusts forward to pierce the throat of the beast in such a way that reams of artery blood begin to jet loose in a wide swath. It chokes, trying to roar with a mouthful of pumping red that sloshes on the ground. But Tescelina does not drop her guard, she informs the others. "Please, we must end its suffering." The mighty beast looks to be slipping into something of a pathetic weakness. Barely able to keep itself up before falling again.

Elgana releases the boy, giving an encouraging smile and murmuring to him, "Go on, you can do it." She lets the boy scrabble inside the little nook, a look of banked awe on his face as he wriggles into the shelter. She turns toward the axe-wielding woman and frowns as she listens to the northern shav pouring out of her. She says to Delilah then, "She says her brother is dying. We have to help him!" There's some words exchanged to the boy's mother, an assurance perhaps.

Arthen Dayne's seen a few bleeding out bears in his time, and all the signs of waxing defeat are upon the beast so he drops his crossbow and allows alarm to reign, "Nova! Just scream if you're okay!", he shouts, haring over to where she's at and whipping the dagger out of its sheath to ram it in between the side of the bear's mouth so he can leverage and pry, "Let's get you out of here b'fore this thing decides to roll around.", he tells the scout in his most reassuring way. Hopefully this thing doesn't have one last mauling left in it.

Alecstazi growls as the bear goes down, and he tries to get a look at his arm to assess the damage to it, and his armor. He moves towards the bear and looks to Tescelina, "It is your kill." Then again, Arthen dispatches it swiftly. He looks over to Nova, and offers her a hand up, "Anyone here handy with first aid?"

With a quick flick of a grateful gaze to first Tescelina and then Arthen, Rowenova sharply gasps a quiet thanks -- but does NOT scream! -- as her hands come up to help open the jaws... of DEATH. Despite the blood slick all over, they somehow manage, and her right shoulder is finally free! Free I say! Or, write! Nova drops out of the bear's mouth then reaches up her bloody hands to Alecstazi's offer, the left one rising much faster than the right one for obvious reasons.

Rowenova says, "It is but a flesh wound!"

Lygeia rushes past the dying bear to the man who is lying in a pool of his own blood. She shouts for help, and puts part of her shirt between her teeth and rips it, wrapping it tightly around the man's arm, but it quickly turns red. The woman and the boy begin to run from the shelter to the man's side.

Rowenova says, "Yes, help that man over there!"

Delilah turns to Elgana, listening to that translation with a furrowed line between her brows. "Can you tell her we'll do our best to patch him up? We can get..." Anything more she might say is cut off, as the pair bolt out from hiding to find the man. "That bear was uncommonly vicious. I wonder if it had cubs around or something worse."

The man is lying at the mouth of the cave, still conscious and holding Lygeia's hand. His eyes pass over the woman and the boy and there is some relief on his face, if not a smile.

Before Elgana can get any more in edgewise to the woman, she's bolting off with the boy. She gives Delilah an apologetic look and sighs, "I've heard of bear attacks before, but they are usually because of cubs. I didn't see any, but that doesn't mean there aren't any around either." The Redrain royal then starts to head back toward the woman and boy, pausing to look at Arthen as if making sure the explorer is one piece before she looks to Tescelina and Alecstazi to make sure they were alright. It's then she sees Rowenova, and she grimaces. "Gods and spirits, Rowenova that is /NOT/ a flesh wound!" It is then toward the man by the mouth of the cave she goes. "Gods and spirits I wish I had paid more attention to Lady Margret's lessons about wound tending."

Tescelina is presently unharmed but there are three lines from the clawing tear on the half-skirt over trousers. She has much bear blood on her, however, and it casts an eeriness to her expressionless stare. Approaching the beast, making sure it's dead, she thrusts her sword into its brain with a downward stab. Simple and clean. The glory of diamondplate. When its done, she cleans the instrument with an aeterna handkerchief and then wipes her face. It is then she approaches the others, watching from the margins as the wounded man smiles. "They hid from the raiders in the cave," she says or speculates, "Which incurred the bear's territorial wrath." A pause. "Perhaps."

"That isn't a flesh wound." Alec echoes Princess Elgana's words and he starts trying to remove his dented armor. His gaze falls to the man, seeing how swiftly that fabric is running red. "If we do not have a mercy or healer with us, I fear that man is not long for this world."

The brown haired woman turns to Elgana and begins speaking rapidly in Northlands Shav.

Ondine, a red-breasted sparrowhawk arrives, delivering a message to Alecstazi before departing.

Delilah nods to Elgana, and she takes several moments of exploring that fissure where the child managed to take shelter for a short time. It's a squeeze in there for her at the best of times, for she dances and twists herself in a way as slippery as one can allow in her lightly armoured state, her arms elevated from her sides to allow for that. A wave of faint musk plays over the senses, enough to halt her. "Oh no, little ones, no." The sound of dismay may be distorted by the intensely vertical confines of sotne that anchor above her. "If anyone has a talent handling young animals, I'll trade you. Someone is about to become a parent to a small creature."

Mikani checked intellect + medicine at difficulty 15, rolling 7 higher.

Ondine, a red-breasted sparrowhawk arrives, delivering a message to Alecstazi before departing.

Mikani checked intellect + medicine at difficulty 25, rolling 2 higher.

Elgana listens to the woman, a compassionate look on the Redrain royal's face the entie time. She looks to the others as she says, "His name is Ethane and he is her brother," she explains to those closest. "She says there is a large army of raiders camped near the hotsprings and that they will come to Grassmere soon. She says we should warn the Duchess of this." Her gaze then flicks back to the woman, a soft murmur of words exchanged before she says to the others. "Please, there must be something we can do for her brother."

Tescelina checked intellect + medicine at difficulty 25, rolling 3 lower.

Tescelina checked intellect + survival at difficulty 45, rolling 5 lower.

Arthen Dayne winces as Tescelina sinks her blade into the skull of the dying bear, unable to hide his feelings on having such a.. front row seat to the sight of that. The explorer turns his head away and gets back up to his feet, sheathing his dagger once more. He goes on to retrieve the crossbow he'd tossed away in the heat of combat, baby blue eyes taking in the aftermath of the war against the angry beast, "I don't know that anyone really parents baby bears so much as they raise 'em up nice and strong to get eaten by 'em one day. It's like raisin' a chicken, except one day that chicken has a bad few seconds and you're devoured." So helpful, this one. He isn't much of a physician, so he starts uncoiling that rope he'd been left with. "We ought to lash somethin' together to carry that man back on, if he's goin' to come through this."

Tescelina moves toward the dying man's side. She kneels, one hand resting on his chest. Her brows cinch and she runs through a thousand possibilities and comes up with nothing. After a quiet moment she says to him in a hushed voice, "They are safe. Rest knowing that."

Arthen checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 7 higher.

Alecstazi huffs at Elgana's news and he watches sthe dying man steadily. He looks to Elgana and then in the direction of the springs. Shifting his attention to Lygeia, and asks, "What do you recommend? Do we head back to warn the fuchess or attempt to route these bastards ourselves?"

Nova hears out Elgana, doing so with big eyes as well as an assenting nod, "Yes, Your Highness." She shall not argue with Elgana! She gets up from the blood puddle, doing so as a drippy mess with the offered help before then migrating over toward the ongoing situation with the fallen brother there. "Aww, baby bears?" Heavy sigh. Sir Floppington tail droops, too. Afterwards, Nova pulls out a couple containers with mysterious liquids from her vial belt before mixing together those particular contents then carefully administering such solution into the man's maw. Of course, she is a tad slower on her righthand side, but she still manages.

"We are guests in this county," Tescelina says as she moves away to let Nova and Arthen tend to the man. Her attention on Alecstazi. "We report to the duchess and let her decide the plan of attack. It is not our place and many of you are wounded."

Lygeia, still holding the dying man's hand, as the injured Rowenova pours a substance down his throat to ease his pain, turns to Alecstazi and says, "I'm not certain, Your Highness. You and Scout Rowenova are injured - if the warband is large, it is likely we would be killed or captured. I will /not/ be a captive ever again," she says with a rather shocking ferocity.

Small bears, tiny creatures that they are, probably bleat and complain of Delilah's intrusion for /she/ is not Mumsy, and /she/ cannot provide delicious trout or milk or whatever their desires require. She slips out through the entrance, gesturing at the space behind her with a delicate rolling motion. "The cubs will starve without help, I know that much. I do not feel comfortable leaving them to the elements," she explains softly, "though understandable if they cannot be helped." A worried expression fades away at the sight of blood, so much of it, starkly affecting her with a cool regard. "Ethane. We will not see him sent on to the Queen quite yet, with any luck." Down to her knees beside him, opposite Rowenova, she lays the bow aside. Lygeia she tries not to get into the way of, though the pack she puts down contains all sorts of interesting contents. Digging into the midsection, she withdraws a pouch and opens it up. Several musty, earthy scents rise up. Two tins marked with nice, helpful green wax stoppers become another sort of addition to the air. Pulling one open reveals a cream of sorts that she starts applying to the bloodied wounds, a collection of cloth bandages wound haphazardly around in a knot to add pressure to slow the bleeding. The various antiseptic herbs involved may or may not be actually useful in someone's hands, though she is by no means anything close to a Sophie or Reigna on the field. But there /is/ some skill to what she's doing, all the same.

Alecstazi glances back to Tescelina, his eyes narrowing a touch. There is irritation there, but when he speaks his voice is the same careful, polite tone it has been. "I believe that heading back to the Inn is likely the best course of action." He looks to Delilah then and says, "While I can appreciate your kind heart, Duchess Shepherd, the fact is that bears die. They are not the last of the bears. It is sad, but bringing them back to civilization is doing them no favors. Unless your intent is to have them made into handsome slippers?"

Ondine, a red-breasted sparrowhawk arrives, delivering a message to Alecstazi before departing.

Across from Delilah, Nova hears out Lygeia about her injured status before then patiently waiting until the injured man has been creamed up, and then -- only after he has been seen to -- does Nova quietly inquire, "Could I take a couple dops?" What is a dop? It might be a new word. She motions up with her left hand to her right shoulder before lowering down said hand again. Then, "Well, I feel so guilty. What if their parents were..." she quietly speaks without being very audible there. Then, she shifty glances to Sir Floppers.

Tescelina prepares to aid in the escort of Ethane and the others back to the Inn, to Grassmere, and eventually warning the Duchess. In the interim, she does not note the narrowing glance of the prince focused instead on the preparations. "If you can maintain the cubs to follow closely, Duchess," she tells Delilah, "When we arrive in town we could arrange them to be transported back to Arx and to the menagerie. They have experts there which can raise them in a healthy, safe environment. We need only secure them until our return to town. But we had best begin our trek back."

Elgana stays out of the way as Ethane is tended to, letting those with a healer's touch manage to what she cannot. She shifts to look at the others, nodding at something, "Lady Tescelina is correct, this isn't our lands, and even I as a Redrain have no authority to dictate what is done. We should alert Duchess Fiana and make certain she is aware of the threat to her lands, to her people." She glances back toward the dead bear and shivers. "Lord Rysen should be made aware of this and we need to get Ethane to Grassmere anyway. We should go back." She forces a smile, but there is genuine warmth there. "Thank all of you for tending to Ethane."

Arthen Dayne keeps himself occupied in the wake of the bear's savagery, pulling out a hatchet and setting to cleaving down enough limbs to be lashed together into a makeshift stretcher. "Row, this ain't a time to think about food.", he mumbles to her, working easy enough under pressure out here in the wilderness. A part of his job, after all. While he works, he keeps an eye on everyone, his gaze drifting from person to person to see who all is wounded, who might be able to make it back. A somber look's on his face while his hands are busied with the twisting and the lashing and the preparing. "Princess Elgana, you doin' okay?", he calls over.

Lilah's efforts work in tandem with Rowenova, at least then she can retreat to some degree. "The best I can do at this point. He will need an actual physician's attention to heal, but good you were here." Wiping her hair off her brow leaves a streak in the meantime. "It would be eventually the call of Duchess Fianna, without fail, on how to approach on this. More importantly, if an army is sitting out there waiting to descend, we cannot afford to stay here." Her shoulders lift slightly at the mention of slippers, and it brings out a dry laugh from her. "I'm sure that might go swimmingly. However, no. The practicality of the matter is getting the man back, not the cubs."

Lygeia rises and nods to those who spoke. "Let us return to Grassmere then as soon as we may." The woman comes to stand beside Elgana as does the boy. The woman says something to Elgana, and tears stream from her eyes as she glances towards Delilah and Rowenova.

Nova certainly assists Delilah then dops up her own injured parts, too, before getting up with a tummy rumble despite Arthen's words. She huffs softly then pipes up, "I am with Lady Wyrmguard on this one!" Then, she leans down and conspiratorily murmurs a few quiet things to the hound dog.

Tescelina checked stamina + athletics at difficulty 35, rolling 7 higher.

Tescelina checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 20 higher.

Elgana checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 46 higher. Elgana rolled a critical!

Rowenova gets Special Dog Deploying Backpack from Messenger Bag.

Delilah checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 58 higher. Delilah rolled a critical!

Sir Floppington pads over and mournfully bays about the bear cubs until the Wolf Scout walks over and sets up her special harness which would be for the floppy-eared dog, except Nova rigs up a baby bear and back packs it with a slight heft after all the shoulder straps are set up, "We can do this, and there is only one more!"

Tescelina is quite fit, and it shows in the way she manages to /barely/ navigate the switchback taking the injured Ethane down the rocky, damp pathway. All the while, she remains alert in their travels.

Elgana exchanges a few more words with the woman, quiet and thoughtful, and she even gives the little boy a hug. "Lydia. Maethen. I couldn't do anything less," she says softly to the pair. To Arthen, she nods and smiles, though it is shakey, "I've been better, but I'm no worse in truth. I'm thankful we are all whole." She looks the explorer over carefully to be sure he is! And then it is time to go back down! Elgana is careful, she is oh so cautious on the way back down. And it is on the way back down that something catches her attention, and Elgana pauses, squints, and stares. She isn't loud, but those around her can easily see. "There's a woman, there," she doesn't point so much as make a subtle movement toward where she sees her. "She has a bow and is painted with woad. She might be a scout." There is worry in her tone and writ across her face.

"More than likely she is. I know of a few tribes that use woad in that case, but I am not sure I recognize the tribe. Are any of you familiar with the Abandoned in the vicinity? Perhaps the duchess' people do," Delilah muses aloud, confirming Elgana's statements. She casts her hand over her brow, paused in her descent to take note of that. "Either way, we should make sure they are aware."

Lygeia follows between Tescelina and Elgana as they make their way down the path. It's slippery, but moving with care, progress is consistent. Her expression change quickly when Elgana and Delilah speak of the scout. "We must move quickly. They are White Raven," she hisses.

Rowenova checked stamina + athletics at difficulty 35, rolling 8 higher.

Rowenova checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 54 higher.

Arthen checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 58 higher.

Alecstazi mutters under his breath watching Rowenova wwrangling the bear cubs, and takes up a position at the rear of the group, covering their retreat. As such he carefully navigates the switchback on the descent, trying to keep an eye out for potential ambush spots.

Somehow managing to strap up both babes with not only her special dog pack but also her special rope, too. Once she has that all managed, she climbs down, doing so with everyone else. She quietly mentions to Tescelina, "Good idea." about what she said earlier on. Moving along, she does not slow down any.

Nova ^

Tescelina offers a faint smile to Rowenova and inclines her head, but she focuses mainly on the carting of the injured/dying man. The warning of the painted shav draw her attention but only faintly, she's relying on the others to warn of the danger.

Arthen Dayne's not carrying the wounded. It isn't because he's incapable, but ain't a body here that's out of the woods yet, as it were. The man's got his crossbow in his hands and his eyes are all over in a way that's only outwardly calm. He seems to spy something in the distance over by that waterfall, something he levels his crossbow at. A sharp whistle escapes the man, the attention-gettin' kind, and he shakes his head in warning at them as if to say, hey now, don't you make me do this.

Arthen checked dexterity + archery at difficulty 15, rolling 28 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + archery(4) at difficulty 15, rolling 33 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked strength(3) + archery(4) at difficulty 1, rolling 28 higher.

29 inflicted and Tescelina is unharmed.

Tescelina turns her head to the sharp whistle. The arrow sailing near, barely missing Ethane. She shrugs her shoulder, causing the flying implement to shatter against the hard pauldron.

Tescelina checked composure at difficulty 15, rolling 3 lower.

Tescelina checked dexterity + athletics at difficulty 40, rolling 2 lower.

They make him do it. Ain't that always how it goes up here in the stubborn northlands. Arthen Dayne snaps off a shot with that oversized crossbow of his, whizzing the rubicund-tipped bolt over in the waterfall's direction and catching a shav archer in the side of the face with it. Near immediately he drops to a knee and hits the reloading process hard, shouting to the others, "I hope we are all familiar with the fightin' retreat!", preparing for the next shot he needs to take. "If you can't fight right now, retreat!"

10 inflicted and Tescelina is harmed for minor damage.

Elgana nods at Delilah's words but then frowns when Lygeia pipes up with even more information, but that isn't what gets Elgana to pause and draw breath. "There's more than just the one scout," she says. "One, two--four!" Elgana can count in proper order, but there's a thread of anxiousness to her tone now even as she tries to keep from being louder than necessary. "There are four of them plus that scout," she informs the others. Knowledge is power after all but it seems the arrows start to fly regardless so Elgana does the best to make herself as small a target as possible.

Delilah is not taking any risks with this one; someone shooting at Tescelina is enough to hurry her along, and the slip-slide of motion keeps her on her toes. The flickering flames in her summer-sky eyes built up a touch as the first of the archers takes their aim at the wrong sort of soul, the starry knight of sunflowers. "Mangata, give us swift feet, we don't need this," she says sharply, casting voice to the wind and moreover trying to keep her path broken up so it's not nearly so easy to shoot at her as she follows Elgana down. Arthen's suggestions are taken to heart.

Two of the shav raiders have apparently made their way across the water above and have begun to make their way down the path in pursuit. The smaller, nimbler man, whose face is also covered in woad, quickly closes in on Alecstazi who has taken up rear guard.

Alecstazi growls as the arrows start to fly and he lumbers over to do his best to put himself between Elgana and Delilah and any of the archers. He holds his glaive across his body as if in an attempt to block any incoming arrows as he guards the women.

The impact of the arrow is enough to knock her aside, Tescelina falls and with her so does Ethane. The knight smacks her head as she goes down, causing a bit of blood to trickle down the side of her face. Slamming her fist into the dirt, she starts to move back to her feet as the attackers close in on them.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + archery(4) at difficulty 15, rolling 36 higher.

Arthen checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 15, rolling 54 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(4) at difficulty 15, rolling 58 higher.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 35 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked strength(4) + medium wpn(4) at difficulty 1, rolling 39 higher.

40 inflicted and Alecstazi is unharmed.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 157 higher. Alecstazi rolled a critical!

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(4) at difficulty 15, rolling 60 higher.

Thusfar the Thraxian Prince has not made the best showing. That apparently has made him a bit frustrated, and that frustration is the motivation needed for Alec to get to business. The shav charges in with a spear, aimed directly for his chest, the good news for Alec is that it hits the most reinforced spot, scraping off and to the side. The jab leaves the shav open wide, and using all of his body's momentum, Alecstazi twists, bringing his glaive up to horrible effect. The man's eyes bug out as the rubicund blade tears through his leather armor, digging deeply through his flesh and leaving a furrow of destruction in the wake. Alecstazi roars, blood spraying across him, giving him a red half-mask that only make the cold ice-hue of his eyes all the bluer.

Arthen checked dexterity + archery at difficulty 15, rolling 61 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + dodge(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 42 higher.

Elgana checked strength at difficulty 10, rolling 15 higher.

Whiel Alec is dealing with those charging shavs, Nova scrambles faster with the bear cubs on her back and Sir Floppington beside her, making haste to try to cover ground while pointing out cover options for her party members, too.

"You know what, this is all your fault!", Arthen Dayne calls over to the assaulting shav'arvani archers who are assailing them with a steady supply of arrows. He shouts that over while he's finishing his reload, swings the crossbow back up and levels it a second time. It's like he's always done, a deep breath and squeeze the shot off on the exhale, accounting for movement. His crossbow kicks out another bolt and that bolt sinks into an archer's throat who pitches forward off the cliddside and into the rocky waters below. He doesn't look pleased with himself at all, not even a little. He just looks grim.

Once more as the chaos of battle strikes up around Elgana, she remains outwardly calm. Indeed, there are tells that it is taking everything to /keep/ appearing calm, but she manages it with as much grace as she can. The boy gets scooped up into her arms and down they go, cradling him close as she murmurs soft things to keep his attention on /her/ and not on what is going on around them. "Have you ever heard the story of bold Queen Valeria? She was a fierce warrior," she murmurs the beginning of a story to the boy, gently reciting it to him as they make their way down and to cover to wait out the battle.

Tescelina checked dexterity + athletics at difficulty 35, rolling 15 higher.

Tescelina checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 15 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 39 higher.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 23 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 36 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked strength(5) + medium wpn(6) at difficulty 1, rolling 59 higher.

60 inflicted and Alecstazi is harmed for moderate damage.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 27 higher.

Tescelina shouts to Rowenova and indicates to the injured Ethane. "Get him to cover!" She turns her attention elsewhere, moving swiftly with a small kick off the slippery stones that sends her in range and flanking the warrioress. She strikes outward with her sword, having it parried.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 7 higher.

Rowenova checked dexterity + athletics at difficulty 30, rolling 23 higher.

As the axe-wielding female warrior faces off with the Thraxian Prince, Alec is still swept into the mindlessness of his last attack. It makes him reckless, leaving him open for a blow that clangs into his helm, giving his ears a good ringing and maybe -- just possibly bringing him out of his fugue. He follows up with an attack of his own, that glaive lashing out and hooking into her elbow, a gouge, but nothing as devastating as before. There is a prowl of Alecstazi's form, a focus on the warrior he is squaring off with.

Arthen checked dexterity + archery at difficulty 15, rolling 50 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + dodge(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 33 higher.

After Tescelina's call, Nova swiftly adjusts the baby bears, so they are more papoose style in front than at her back like before. She cinches the harness then dashes out and snatches up that stretcher which she hauls off like the party mule along her sturdy back to help carry all 3 of their newest charges. Somehow, she actually manages all this, putting trees between her and the shooting shavs as she makes her way.

Tescelina checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 35 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 58 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 38 higher.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 26 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked strength(5) + medium wpn(6) at difficulty 1, rolling 51 higher.

52 inflicted and Alecstazi is unharmed.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 68 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 39 higher.

Tescelina checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 31 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 30 higher.

The time for honoured traditions like shouting at shav across a ravine while exchanging deadly attacks at range with them has come to an end. Arthen Dayne's not even trying to warn the danged stubborn northernfolk off now, and instead he sets to the terrible work of dispatching them with what can only be called a distinct lack of happiness. Another bolt is slotted in and the explorer levels that crossbow again, keeping to his footing while he sinks yet another bolt into yet another enemy. This one doesn't pitch off into the waters below so much as he spills back somewhere into cover after dropping his bow. He gives a glance to Tescelina and Alecstazi, but firing into melee combat is a risky proposition so he allows them to do their thing while he hurries over to make sure the people escaping have all the cover they need.

Elgana finds just the right spot there at the bottom, a little cleft in the rock perfect for her mold against and to slip to her bottom and hug Maethen protectively to her as she continues to shield the boy from the violence and to continue her story. Like a mother bear herself, Elgana keeps watching over her charge, those little tremors in her arms and that worry clearly visible on her face with just a touch of fear in those dark eyes mixed in with her resolve.

Lydia draws her axe and stands in front of Elgana, with a decidedly nervous look at Rowenova who somehow manages to drag her brother from the wet crags to the safety of a stony outcropping where Elgana has taken cover.

Alec is taking a more defensive posture, showing respect for his opponant. As they face off, the woman swings her axe at Alec's dominant forearm, and it is just enough to shake his strike. He still manages to recover, the blade deflected from her center mass to instead strike at her leg. She's wounded, weakened, but there is still fight in her eyes.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 41 higher.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 21 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked strength(5) + medium wpn(6) at difficulty 1, rolling 96 higher.

Tescelina thrusts forward at the moment that their blades deflect and manages to land a solid blow into her chest. She reaches up, grabbing the rapier's diamondplate blade with her hand. Which is, well, ill-advised. The knight produces the parrying dagger quickly in the same breath.

97 inflicted and Alecstazi is harmed for serious damage.

Alecstazi checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 49 higher.

Rysen GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + medium wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 36 higher.

Around Elgana's corner comes Nova with a couple bears in the dog harness with extra rope on her front half and the broken brother of Lydia on her back half before gradually easing the makeshift stretcher to the ground below behind that stony outcropping.

The three-part fight continues, with Tescelina fighting with those rapid fire strikes of her rapier. The Abandoned warrior grabs hold of that rapier, and swings her offhand, catching Alecstazi a brutal attack against the ribs, caving the steel in and almost, almost felling the prince. With a rage-filled shout, blood spraying from his lips, Alec drives forward, spearing her body with the glaive, stepping forward as the rubicund drives through her body.

As Lydia comes to stand guard, that fear in Elgana's eyes lessens a great deal, and by the time Rowenova rounds the bend with her cubs in that harness - which do earn a shocked look! - and the makeshift stretcher, the fear is gone. The Redrain royal keeps her words soft and soothing for the boy, wending her story of Valeria into another heroic tale of the northlands. "And then there is Prince Weohstan Redrain," she is saying softly, giving Rowenova a smile filled with worry but less about the battle and more about the Scout herself.

As the glaive spears through the raider, Tescelina instinctively yanks the rapier back out from her clutches and it takes a few fingers along the way. The knight steps back, studying the weapon in her hand for a time, and closes the unused dagger back in its scabbard. She does not yet sheathe the sword. It remains in her hold, all the way back toward the others. Drenched in blood, she takes out that aeterna rag and uses it to clean off the gleaming white-blade. It is like this, from now unto the village.



Silence falling over her in the wake of it, as though at last her mind had caught up. For the remainder of the venture, it is likely the Wyrmguard is unresponsive or vague and she stays shut-up when able in a room. No stars to grace her on those particular nights.

Following up after Rowenova is Sir Floppington who comes around the bend, too. Matching gazes with Elgana, Nova smiles back in a reassuring way despite the probable pain which likely adds to the muscle tremors briefly experienced till worked out before picking up one end of the stretcher business once more. Surely, there will be one other to help haul the injured man further yon.

Though one of the archers has managed to escape, the immediate threats have passed, and Lygeia is all too eager to finish the easy trek back to the horses at the Butter Churn Inn, with Rowenova and Tescelina carrying Ethane between them. When the party arrive back at the Inn, there is immense interest in the stories told by the adventurers and by the rescued villagers. When Rysen returns, messengers have already been sent back to Arx to warn Duchess Fianna, and he writes to his brother and Lord Geralt to send reinforcing troops to Grassmere immediately.



Back to list