Skip to main content.

PRP: A Nest of Many Things

After a recent survey of House Igniseri lands surrounding Granato, it's been discovered that there is a nest of creatures dwelling on House Igniseri lands that might be remnants of those battled during the Gyre War in House Setarco. House Igniseri citizens have requested the aid of their lieges to deal with this situation, and to make their homes safer once more. As they put it, they wish for the night terrors to go away! So, House Igniseri has put together a crack team of adventurers to deal with these creatures and dispatch them from Igniseri lands.

Plot Difficulty: Medium to Hard

This plot may contain combat and a risk of character death. Come prepared with armor. Weapons are not required as combat will be simulated through @checks. This is primarily for members of House Igniseri and it's allies, however I can take up to 6 interested players on the plot - all spots are first come, first serve. Please @mail Quenia for interest.

Date

Sept. 6, 2018, 8 p.m.

Hosted By

Quenia

GM'd By

Quenia

Participants

Luis Yelana Jordan Miranda Faruq Valdemar Vitalis

Organizations

Location

Largesse Level

Small

Comments and Log


Jordan wields Wayfarer, an alaricite arming sword.

Miranda wields Ruby, a ruby-garnet rubicund saber.

Faruq wields Black Diamond - a Diamondplate Great Scimitar.

Luis puts Menagerie Plush Series - Blacktip Shark in a soft, blue garment bag embroidered with the letters MG.

Luis puts Saiklander's Winter White Wine in a black leather belt with a stylized firey phoenix.

Luis puts fitted riding gloves tooled with a blazing feather in a soft, blue garment bag embroidered with the letters MG.

Luis puts black bracers with cuffs ringed in orange and scarlet fire in a soft, blue garment bag embroidered with the letters MG.

Luis puts cuffed black cavalry boots polished to a brilliant shine in a soft, blue garment bag embroidered with the letters MG.

Luis puts Setarco Serpentine Red in a black leather belt with a stylized firey phoenix.

The trip to Granato was an uneventful one, except for those with weak stomachs. The party stays the night in the city, to get a fresh start in the morning. It takes a few hours to get to the general area where Igniseri residents mentioned that the creatures were staying; it's around 11 am. They had all sorts of horrific descriptions of these creatures from the locals when they asked the night before, imaginative people that they are. The biggest thing that came up is that the party would be dealing with "night terrors". Though, so far as everyone can see at the moment, everything seems normal, or does it?

Miranda checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 15 higher.

Valdemar checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 5 higher.

Luis checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 4 higher.

Faruq checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 2 higher.

Jordan checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 7 higher.



The trip by ship was not one of Luis' most glorious moments, he managed to keep down whatever he ate, but it was clear that he was eating slowly and in small amounts and imbibing upon much day wine to keep it down. Still a little green around the gills he does manage to remain upright when they arrive, not kissing the dock, or hugging various workers to celebrate the departing of the ship. It is but a few moments later upon solid ground that he recovers his strength and humor.

Once they're closer to their destination, Luis stops a moment, checking with the others as he looks around. "So, a quick question... how many of you have every truly fought these sorts of 'imaginary creatures?'" he asks of those present, though he gives a nod to Valdemar in the process, but it is to the others that he is curious.

It's not that bad a boat trip as it is to travel to the North. So long as you have enough booze, that is. Jordan, by the time they are in Granato and investigating, is clad in his full suit of diamondplate, trusty alaricite sword at his side, and ever vigilant. He is looking to Luis for guidance on where they should be going, since it is the man's home base, not his own. He lowers his visor and offers a grunt to the Igniseri. "I fought people who had bug-like appendages and one demon that could turn into swarms of bugs. If that helps."

Miranda rather enjoyed the boat ride! She spent ample time on deck, enjoying the view. Granato is her neighbor, after all. She also bothered Faruq, a lot, about the parts of the ship and the crew's jobs and just about anything else involved in the sailing. Once on land, after questioning the locals, she manages to remain open-minded about the night terrors described. To Luis's question, she shrugs, "Does Setarco count?"

Faruq loved the sea voyage part of the trip. The Corsair was in his element, and he used the time to educate Miranda about the basics of sailing. Teaching her a few knots and how to check the lines of the sails so that they always catch the wind, if there is any wind. When they land though he looks a little forlorn at the ship they are leaving. Each step is rolling like he were still on the boat: "I fought a shadow creature that was living in a skull and eating children just last week. I've also faced several more ocean based threats over the decades hm?" He unslings his diamondplate great scimitar from his back: "That is quite the suit of armor Sir Jordan. I recall you telling me about it but that is impressive."

The trip to Granato was a pleasant one for Valdemar, who seemed as relaxed as anyone present has likely ever seen him while aboeard that ship. Once back on dry land, though, he has been all business. Now clad in heavy rubicund chain and plate, he is looking around with the others. Inclining his head to Luis, he then tells Miranda, "Yes, Setarco definitely counts. There were plenty of...monsters there. I also fought against 'murderdogs' before that, and dead men who didn't understand what 'dead' means. Now, is anyone seeing anytthing out of the ordinary yet?"



Luis chuckles, "Good, we've all had our taste and yes Setarco counts, if you can remember it," he responds to Miranda, looking to the others as he grins. The man himself wears a simple set of Granato full plate, the craftsmanship of exceptional quality as it does appear to have been fashioned to fit him and allow for movement as best that full plate truly can. The heavy black cloak over his shoulders is held together by a golden phoenix upon his breast and a dark, silk wrapped blade is over his shoulder, while a pair of sabers rests at his hip. "Dogs, undead, demons, all manner of crazy creatures, yes. I am hoping these are just some of the stragglers, though that they exist even after the death of their master suggests we'll likely encounter something different than just dogs or shadows, but we shall see, it is possible that a command was given..." he muses, but then looks ahead at Valdemar's query, "Not yet, but that doesn't mean anything..." he notes, checking his arm where a heavy bracelet is set over his armor, silver embossed steel polished to a mirror shine.

Vitalis checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 24 higher.

"Holy water, I hope one of you brought it. I seem to have forgotten." Jordan states after a moment, glancing down at his suit after Faruq points it out. "Thank you, my Lord. It is a fine suit. At least, it's lighter than steel so I think I can move easier in it. I'll have Eithne look it over once I have the resources."

Vitalis has been ashore in Arx long enough to have lost his sea-legs, but the rolling deck of a ship is a welcome place, a second, or perhaps third home to the ever-seeking young Mazetti lord who chases horizons is glad to set the City - however beloved - behind him. He is content to let the others banter as gray eyes search that horizon, sharp and watchful. His accoutrements are finely finished pelts, as good on expeditions as on the City's cobbled streets - the pelt of a golden-furred wildcat slung over his shoulders. He carries a staff and a whip, practical things with uses beyond killing. An tracker and adventurer from feathered cap to weathered bootheels. He squints against the glare of light from Jordan's armor, tipping his head that broad-brimmed hat shades his eyes. "Depends on your imagination, I reckon," that to Luis. His eyes skate past to land on Faruq, knowing.

"I have a bottle of blessed water that I usually carry with me. If we come across any of the 'murderdogs', though, we will want fire. Or at least, I have seen it hurt them," Valdemar shares as they discuss the various creatures they could possibly run into on this expedition. Given that it /is/ Luis' home, though, he looks to the Igniseri lord to lead the way, drawing the ancestral sword of his house and holding it at the ready as they move forward. That doesn't mean that the Grimhall heir isn't keeping his eyes peeled, though.

Luis, Faruq, Valdermar, and Jordan don't really notice anything too out of the ordinary, though they can clearly see the tracks of the various animals of the area; deer, goats, rabbits, birds of some sort, etc. The normal sort of tracks. Miranda notices a set of scuffle marks that perhaps /might/ be boot prints? But it's like the person shuffled some while they walked if it is from boot prints. However, the shining glory of it all comes from when Vitalis notices the rather large paw prints of what could be a dog or maybe a bear, but they are far too large for a dog or a bear, really. It's very hard to tell which kind of animal it could be. The scuffle prints and the paw prints are headed toward the hilly area, where there's known to be a series of tunnels and caves.

With a short signaling whistle, Vitalis signals he's spotted something. Crouching, the tracker touches the track, lifting fingers to see if there's any scent lingering. "Big, whatever it is. Could be a bear. Or a hound. Bigger than either." He stands and dusts hands on his pants, hitching them as he looks around at the company. Pointing towards the hills and the caves, "Looks like that way. I'll take point." Without waiting much for those along to concur, he heads out, a steady ground-eating stride, eyes sharp, staff held loose and low.

Miranda nods a bit to those who suggest Setarco counts as far as fighting experience goes. The men, for she is lucky to be surrounded by some of Arx most finest specimens of masculinity, will notice that she is not overly talkative. The sea ride was likely the most talkative she was with all her questions. Here, she is thoughtful, taking in everything around her. She does see those scuffle marks, points them out. "There are.. what boot prints here?" She comes out of her crouch to see what Vitalis has found, nodding as he offers to take point.

Luis nods to Valdemar and Vitalis, "I've holy oil, works well for keeping normal weapons ready for slaying creatures and yes we could use fire on the dogs and the like, if we encounter them. Fire is a perfectly acceptable means by which to slay them, though a good alaricite blade, or even diamondplate - usualy - is enough," he admits to the others, nodding along and checking his wrist often as they walk. Vitalis' signal draws Luis' attention and as he points towards the hills Luis sighs, "It's always got to be caves and tunnels. There's a mess of them up in the hills there, so we're going to have to be wary about things..." he adds, "Why can't they just have a nice little campfire and a cozy camp out in the plains..." he chuckles, not all that upset about the situation.

Faruq tips his hat towards Vitalis with a grin: "I am keen on getting some more cardian snakeskin myself." He looks around but not spotting much turns his attention to the others to see what they've found. Vitalis starting on ahead like that makes him raises an eyebrow: "Shall we follow him or leave him to it?" He asks with a soft laugh and a wide smile that reaches his eyes. Tapping the flat of his scimitar on his shoulder Faruq looks to the others and then nods his head: "Better stay with the Prince or we'll get in trouble if we don't bring him back hmm?" Luis comment makes him chuckle while he is on the way to follow Vitalis: "And maybe some rum hmm?"

Valdemar nods to Vitalis when he offers to take point; he found the tracks, he will likely be best suited to continuing to follow them. "Alaricite and diamondplate weapons mean getting close to them, though. Getting within range of the bites of those damned dogs is not advisable, if it can be helped. I've seen one take down a man in armor about as impressive as Sir Ober's in the blink of an eye," he says, his voice turning as grim as his family's name. When Faruq asks whether they should follow after Vitalis, he affirms, "Absolutely. If he runs into trouble, we want to be close enough to get to him."

Vitalis calls over his shoulder, "If he gets into trouble it will be because of all your racket!" Teeth flash in the dark brace of Vitalis' beard as he slips forward, moving steadily.

"Snakeskin is not bad." Jordan drawls, the sword keep at his side while he scans from one side to another, moving carefully. He's mostly not paying attention to the chatter of his companions, instead focused on the task itself. Hence, less verbose than he usually is. With another look to Valdemar after his mention, the knight chuckles, "Don't face a murderdog unless you're on horseback and you're able to outrun them. They're fast, they have big fangs, and they ended Lord Killian, who killed a Herald. Just want to point that out."

Miranda follows the group, keeping up the rear and just off to the side, away from the bang and clang of plate armor. Ahem. She smiles as the men talk of armor, her sword's blade resting flat on her shoulder. She looks comfortable, really, just walking with them. Vitalis' hollar makes her grin with wry amusement and she murmurs, "Amen." She chucles.

Vitalis checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 30, rolling 27 higher.

Miranda checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 30, rolling 1 higher.

"Princes often just do whatever they want... sadly I've seen more than one go running to their death believing themselves invincible, so yes, we should likely keep up with him, before he becomes another notch on the Princeling Dead-board," Luis replies to Faruq with a chuckle. "Well when we're all done, I'm sure I've got some drinks somewhere on me... never a good thing to go for a trip without something to keep one emboldened afterwards." A pause as he notes Valdemar's words, "Indeed, there is that as well... of course that hardly seems sporting... though I suppose it is the safest route," he admits with a grin. "Ah, sorry your quiet highness, hopefully we don't attract any attention... though that's kind of the point, isn't it?" he muses, but nods to Jordan, "Indeed, they did, though often in such situations it is about protecting those who are not ready for them... and I expect that as we've all encountered them here, let us instead focus on dealing with them properly..." afterwards he falls silent, moving with the others.

Luis checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 30, rolling 19 higher.

Faruq checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 30, rolling 14 lower.

Valdemar checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 30, rolling 4 lower.

Valdemar glances at Jordan, his voice low and solemn as he tells the knight, "That's who I was talking about, Sir Ober. I didn't know him well, but I saw what happened to him...and how fast it happened. I'd rather not see it repeated, if it can be helped." It is not his voice that is likely to be heard by any enemies, though, but rather the clanking of the metal he wears.

"He wasn't wearing diamondplate, but his armor was indeed very good steel. Lady Sunaia must have it now." Jordan considers, before nodding to Valdemar. "No amount of skill, or courage, can save you from a dog. A whole rank of cavalry might, but that's different." He looks to the Sword of Grihem's Point, then: "You see any tracks that seem off? I'm only noticing animals."

Vitalis, Luis, and Miranda manage to go ahead of the group, quiet like. Even if one or the other might be in metal bits. It almost seems as if Vitalis disappears, except the party has been tracking his progress. He's just that good at blending in with the scenery at the moment. Jordan, Faruq, and Valdemar are steadily plodding along, the sounds of their armor announcing their presence. Faruq MAY have stumbled over a protruding vine, much like when an imaginary spot on the floor comes up to make one stumble over their own toes causing him to make a bit of a ruckus. Nothing comes running out of the caves at the ready though, that they can see.

Faruq ends up wiping his hands off on his leathers and then picking up his sword after nearly faceplanting: "Why couldn't they be nice enough to have come at us on the ship where there is secure footing at all times?" Luis' comment of having alcohol makes him grin roguishly: "I've /always/ got at least some rum on me. It burns rather prettily too hmm? So there is that." He has completely missed the caves due to his stumble: "By the Gods I think this place hates me. It knows I'm not a land lubber."

Pacing along, Vitalis gives Miranda and Luis a nod, recognition for their quiet traversal, but doesn't spend long with attention anywhere other than the trail. Ahead. And up. It's shocking how often people forget to look up. He pauses, signaling a halt, squinting at some spoor or other before disappearing briefly into the brush. He is gone some time...

"This -is- steady land, my Lord. You'll get used to it, I'm sure," Jordan promises to Faruq as they approach those caves. He keeps his kite shield close to his person, one that's bearing a rampant, stylized sable unicorn in a field of gold; the paint hints that it's been a recent identifier rather than something unique to the knight. "I brought mead, the weakest sort I could find."

Miranda manages to maneurver around the louder fellows and get ahead. A nod to Vitalis as he vanishes into the brush. She, on the other hand, moves off the path they're following, something having caught her eye. She does not vanish from sight, but offers out, "Here." She gestures to where she has found a broken down campfire. She crouches down, checking to see if the campfire was used recently or has gone cold.



"Indeed, sadly anything less than diamondplate won't stop their teeth. Blessed oil rubbed on steel and leather can help mitigate it, or at hte very least keep them from biting you a second time, so there's that, but that again requires a little bit of prep..." Luis says quietly to the others as he fails to notice anything. When Vitalis mosies off again, his brow arches, "Remember what I said about Princes running off..." he notes with a smirk. Finally he reaches behind his shoulder, undoing the soft knot so that the silk spirals outwards in its unwinding, revealing the black metal of the long rapier. A draw forward frees it of its hold and he sets the blade before him, continuing to check his left wrist while ensuring the blade is balanced in readiness within his right hand. Moving to the others as things are spotted, he nods, "Alright, we were too late for the campfire... but..." he continues, as though expecting Vitalis to return and fill in the missing details.

Luis gets Ascension, a dark rapier from a black cloth wrap for a blade.

Luis wields Ascension, a dark rapier.

She crouches down, removing a glove to pass over the campfire. "Still warm," Miranda offers. Her glove is put back and she stands, "Must have been in use just a bit ago."

"I didn't bring any drink with me. I wanted to try whatever local alcohol they had here. If I brought Grimhall mead with me, I'd never drink anything else," Valdemar remarks before the halt is signaled by Vitalis. He then stops where he is, a slightly amused look on his face as the talk of whether or not the land is stable, but otherwise he waits wordlessly for their tracker to return. Looking to Miranda when she points out the former campfire that is still somewhat warm, he nods his head and asks her, "You don't see anything to indicate that it belonged to anything other than regular people, do you?"

Valdemar wields Grimhowl - the Great Sword of Grihem.

Miranda just shakes her head at Valdemar, "No, my Lord, not that I can tell."

...appearing out of the brush, Vitalis whistles in advance of his approach so that he's not pincushioned by anyone surprised by his sudden appearance. "The tracks lead to a cave," he nods the direction he'd come from. "Fresh scat. It's likely there, sleeping, if it hunts by night. What's the plan?" Finding things is his schtick. He narrows eyes at what Miranda is studying, a campfire. "Do we have any idea who that," he tosses a chin at the campfire, "might be?" He looks off caveward, senses pricked.

Jordan checked perception at difficulty 20, rolling 12 lower.

Luis checked perception at difficulty 20, rolling 12 lower.

Vitalis checked perception at difficulty 15, rolling 1 higher.

Miranda checked perception at difficulty 20, rolling 7 higher.

Faruq checked perception at difficulty 20, rolling 11 lower.

Valdemar checked perception at difficulty 20, rolling 8 lower.

Listening to Vitalis' description of what is ahead, Valdemar considers those details for a short time. "Lady Miranda, even if they are normal humans like the rest of us, we need to have some idea of where they are if we're going to approach this cave. Can you find any tracks indicating what direction they went?" he keeps his voice low as he asks this question, his expression indicating he is deep in thought...perhaps a little too deeply.



"Caveward it is, I'd say we smoke em out, but that would likely not do us much good, the tunnels are all over the place, and it could possibly push them further into the depths..." Luis replies to Vitalis, looking back to the others, "Unless anyone has a better idea, I don't mind leading while we go to seek it out... and it's possible that whatever the creature was, it got them too..." he notes with a small shake of his head.

"They could simply no longer /be/ anyone." Faruq says of the campfire: "We know the things we are hunting are not conducive to long lives for the surrounding environs." He looks at the fire again for a few long moments. Lifting his scarred shoulder in a half shrug he notes: "This is much easier when they come to us." A soft chuckle it is: "If anyone has any trap making skills we could leave behind snares in case something tries to circle around behind us." He offers, but Miranda gets a pleased smile at how well she is doing.

Miranda ignores the men for a moment, slowly turning in place. Her eyes are suddenly wide, very alert. She turns her head a bit, this way... then that way. Anyone who has ever seen someone listening. She is still and she puts a finger to her lips, then a gloved hand out as if to tell the men to be quiet and wait. Her sword is moved slowly off her shoulder, held at the ready.

"My Lords," Miranda offers, quietly. "I would suggest we try to be a bit quieter." She points towards the back of the cave, not to a specific place, but in general. "There is a war dog growling back there." No, not a dog. Not a wolf. She's that specific.

Luis arches a brow, quieting immediately, his head tilted to hear what it is that Miranda hears, but without noting the sound himself, he relies upon the woman's own ears and words for guidance in what they're doing. "A war dog..." he notes quietly, turning to the others for their responses, while moving to shift his focus in the direction of the cave.

Faruq frowns at the mention of War Dog. He looks towards the others and says softly: "Maybe we should consider that traps idea. Dig a big hole. Put spikes in it. Lure it in. Spluch." He says helpfully, but quietly! Now he is quiet. War Dog. That must be the off button for his mouth.

There a hiss, the quiet whisper slither of leather on leather as Vitalis slips the whip at his hip free and brings it ready to hand. Not a creature alive takes kindly to being snapped in the face, and with the reach it allows, it seems the best course. He tucks the staff into the pit of his arm, ready to drop one weapon and wield the other at need. He moves to put his back to the others, Miranda in particular, that they can watch the perimeter, gray eyes sharp. He turns his face to the wind, sniffing. Is anything upwind of them? Or are they upwind of... it?

Nodding his head when Miranda relays what she has seen, Valdemar looks in the direction she points, trying to make out the dog for himself. "If they have a dog of any sort, they likely already know we are here. We have not been quiet enough to avoid hounds hearing us," he points out to the others, keeping his voice to a whisper.

"If you've got oil, make a line by the mouth of the cave and set fire to it. Toss any kindling you have, so that the wind carries the smoke into the cave. They've had time to prepare," Jordan points out to the others, sword drawn and at the ready. "And if we go in there, we'll fall into a trap. So let's set this battle on our terms."

Miranda steps back from where she is and taps Vitalis on the back with her gloved hand. "You found another entrance," she reminds him softly. "Where? If I were to take up residence in a cave, I'd want to be sure to have a second way in or out." Her voice remains soft, quiet.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + archery(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 9 higher.

Quenia has rolled 1 6-sided dice: 6

The wind doesn't appear to be drifting in or out of the cave. Rather it seems to be going left to right, past the cave. That doesn't mean smoke won't go in, just that it's neither upwind or down. The growling within the cave seems to get more noticeable, and closer now. And, it's definitely more than one war dog. It sounds like there could be a small pack of them. They haven't quite surfaced yet, but it could be any moment. Something from within the cave where the sound appears to be coming from comes whooshing out and hits the ground closests to Vitalis's feet. A warning shot, perhaps?

Luis can start to hear the hounds and his lips curl, but then there's the arrow and he grunts, "Well now, seems like they know where we are... yet this is pretty normal stuff..." a quick glance at the fletchings, "And yet, that's a Gyre arrow... let's get away from the entrance," he tells them, and moves to the side of the cave so that he's not in line of fire from someone deeper inside. "Not sure that fire and smoke are going to do us much good now, they're on their way... what did you say?" he asks of Vitalis, waiting for the others.

Clearly firing at the greatest threat! Vitalis shuffles back, teeth showing from lips skinned back, "Take cover!" Tracing the arrow's flight against the direction it hit, the cave beyond the campfire, Vitalis dives for cover, checking up against the stone to the side of the cave entrance. He's noted that ominous growling and looks in the direction of the cave he'd scouted, eyes sharp for the approach of padded feet.

Jordan has a shield, so he isn't particularly afraid of errant arrows while he has it raised. He looks to Vitalis for a longer moment, staring at the Ostrian.

Vitalis looks at Luis, "What did I say about what?" He hitches against the stone, twitching his hand, the whip trailing springs into his hand.

Miranda steps back, away from any direct line of sight of the cave mouth - though with Vitalis in front of her, she was not likely in less danger. She looks up at the trees, to the bushes around her, then to the campfire nearby. She remains silent, at least in speaking, and moves carefully towards the campfire. As she goes, she scans the ground and the flora about her, crouching the whole way so as to be as small and low a target as possible. She takes a moment to look about her, putting her friends at her back, just in case, then tries to get the campfire going...

Valdemar checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 25, rolling 4 higher.

Jordan checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 25, rolling 14 lower.

Faruq looks around for anything that the group can climb up onto: "We may not wish to be on the ground when those things come out of the cave. The only other option we have other than getting high is to try and bottle neck them so they can't come at us more than one at a time." Faruq frowns as his head whips around. The arrow makes him pull out a knife from his boot and flip it around into a throwing position. He eyes the trajectory for the arrow and considers if he can make that shot.

Faruq checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 25, rolling 2 lower.

Valdemar nods at Luis' assessment of the situation, but says nothing further as he moves to take cover himself. No diving in his armor, though, not if he wants to fight on his feet. "Anyone who is a good shot, get your bow ready and begin firing as soon as you have a clear shot!" he hisses, though clearly he doesn't consider himself to be much of an archer, as he crouches behind one of the larger rocks he can find, greatsword at the ready.

Vitalis checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 25, rolling 44 higher.

Luis checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 25, rolling 11 lower.

Miranda has rolled a critical success!
Miranda checked wits + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 47 higher.

Quenia has rolled 4 6-sided dice: 1, 3, 4, 6

Whilst the menfolk are prepping to face off with at least one war dog and one creature/person who can use an arrow, Miranda has slunk off to the campfire. She takes a moment, gathering this and that and begins to stoke the fire at the campfire to life. It's warm, after all, and there's no telling what she might be able to do, so... kindling is thrown in, she blows on the dying, nearly dead embers. And carefully coaxes the campfire to life.



Suddenly, what was once a dying campfire is a ROARING blaze! She falls back to avoid being it, scrambling just out of the way. She grins at the massive fire before her, still getting a few feet between it and her. "Fire, my Lords," she offers.

Everyone except for Miranda tries to take cover. Miranda seems to be working on a project all of her own! Vitalis and Valdemar are able to find rocks to hide behind, meanwhile Jordan, Faruq, and Luis are left out in the open. A shot fired, a warning given. It is at that point a piercing whistle can be heard from the nearby cave entrance and four war dogs come rushing out of the cave. These dogs are MUCH larger than any have seen before. And they seem to have the taint of the abyss about them, a green tinge to their skin and eyes. They split up. One rushes to attack Valdemar, Faruq, Miranda, and Vitalis. They are the front line.

Vitalis flinches against the sudden heat of the blaze, slantwise grin falling with a look to Luis, "I think that's for you, eh, Igniseri." He turns attention back to the coming fray. Fray. Fraying nerves. Come on, already, hounds!

Quenia GM Roll checked dex(4) + brawling(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 10 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dex(4) + brawling(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 20 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dex(4) + brawling(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 7 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dex(4) + brawling(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 5 lower.

Faruq checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 33 higher.

Miranda checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 8 higher.

Valdemar checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 29 higher.

And then their forms are alit from behind, shadows dancing upon the hills, "Well now... that's bright," Luis notes looking towards the cave instead of back towards the fire for fear of losing his vision, "Fire is a wonderful thing, let's use it," he starts, but then the dogs are upon them, Luis finding himself rather unhindered in the process, a wry grin upon his lips as he gives a moment for the others to react to the hounds, noting their movements as they keep from getting hit. "Four it is... shields up, knock em down," he states, heading for the one that Miranda is fighting if only because her saber glints red in the firelight.

The dog is HUGE. Miranda sees it and is just faster than it, darting out of the way just in time! Her sword does glint a glorious red in the firelight! But then, it is not dark out, is it? Still, she faces the dog nearest her, moving herself closer to the roaring fire, her back to it.

"Nicely done." Jordan calls out to Miranda, "though I'm just a knight. No Lord." He laughs, spinning the sword in a tight axis to prepare for the incoming onslaught. Then the dogs come, laughter dies and he sets his jaw, running to flank the dog that goes to Valdemar. "Throw the holy water if you have it, then move in!" He calls out as he tries to close in from a flank and cleave into the dog from below, in an attempt to spill its guts on the ground. If possible, and assuming the dog is about as big as a war horse, he'll try to wheelcart beneath it in order to stab it in the heart.

Jordan checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 14 higher.

In spite of all that metal he wears, Valdemar moves quickly, using his greatsword to keep some distance between himself and the tainted mutt that lunges at him. Stepping to the side, he does his best to position himself between the massive dog and the revived campfire, facing the beast and ready to jump out of the way again when it lunges at him. "Come on you big ugly bastard!" he shouts at it, prodding at it with words and the point of his sword, hoping it will lunge once again.

Faruq draws backwards as the dog comes charging at him, snapping jaws, rending claws, and Faruq is a nimble graceful being which just seems odd for how large he is. Whirling away from snapping teeth the war dog is only chomping at the tail of his coat but hitting nothing: "I guess we wouldn't have had time to dig a pit anyways." He says mournfully, preparing to back up: "Back to the fire? Back to the fire. That's what I'm doing." And so he starts trying to do.

Luis checked perception + survival at difficulty 20, rolling 9 lower.

Nerves singing, the Mazetti lord bares his teeth, yielding no ground to the ravening beast whose teeth snap closed short of his face. A prayer tumbles from his lips as he begins to move, matching the beast pace for pace, "Lady of Flame," he twitches his wrist, stepping back, "Grant us strength in our stand," the whip slithers on the ground, hissing like a living thing as it travels over the stone and earth, he moves to put his back to the fire, "To face darkness where it rises," he lifts his arm, preparing a strike, "And bring Your light!" He strikes! CRACK CRACK!

The war dogs, however, become distracted by Miranda's fire for a moment. Either that, or the members of the party they attempt to tack are so agile that they are able to escape the first volley of attackers! The war dogs are not just huge. They are massive. Almost the size of bears, that's how tainted they are by the abyss. Jordan is able to see the faint outlines of six humanoid figures in the caves, who are on their way to making their way out, though at least two linger behind within the shadows of the cave. This is probably a good moment for those that want to attack to do so: @check dexterity + weapon skill at 30 - and name your target. If you are doubling up with someone, make sure I know.

Valdemar checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 32 higher.

Jordan checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 21 higher.

Faruq checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 3 higher.

Miranda checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 29 higher.

Luis checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 68 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 50, rolling 4 higher.

A messenger arrives, delivering a message to Faruq before departing.

Vitalis checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 64 higher.

Quenia has rolled 3 6-sided dice: 1, 5, 6

Valdermar and Jordan manage to flank their dog and kill it. Likewise, Miranda, Luis, and Faruq are able to team up and kill their dog. Luis almost evicerates it completely. Vitalis decides to take his dog on by himself, and attempts two swings with his interestingly crafted whip! He manages to nearly evicerate it as well. The one free dog goes to attack again, as well as the two in the shadows of the caves. The free dog is attacking Valdemar, and the two archers are aiming for Luis and Vitalis. The other four humans, the abyssal tainted former pirates of the Gyre, seem to be moving in with swords. "We warned ya away. We just want to be left alone. But would ya do it? No. Carried on you did, yabbering about how yas gonna smoke us out." They move in to engage, but are not in physical attacking range yet. Those NOT being attacked can move to get into range. Or, shoot arrows.

Quenia GM Roll checked dex(4) + brawling(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 5 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + archery(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 16 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + archery(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 18 higher.

Luis checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 31 higher.

Valdemar checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 12 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 19 higher.

Miranda p quenia=they're in the cave entrance near the campfire, yes? not the other or are they split?

His black rapier both absorbing and reflecting the firelight, the pommel gem nearly glows as he shoves the nearly feet of blade deep into the wardog, sensing its life blood ebb and fail as he draws the rapier back with a flourish, turning to sidestep an arrow as he raises his saber in an en-guarde stance. "Smoke you out, kill you, it is all the same. The Gyre lost, now it's time for you to join the rest of your kin," Luis calls back, checking the remaining two dogs, "Finish the dogs, watch the men, put the fire between em if you can," he tells the others, turning to do just that and make for the dog on Valdemar.

Flanked on each side by a friendly sword! Miranda grins and once her dog is down, takes a moment to look towards the archers. The fire is in the middle of the camp, open to the world. She speaks to the men beside her, noting the archers and others hiding in shadows of the cave, "They have cover. We have fire. We need to get them out of there so we can get at them without exposing ourselves overmuch."

After working together with Jordan to slaughter the beast that initially came for him, Valdemar turns to face another of the massive dogs as it comes for him. "What in the Abyss, do I look like kibble?" he growls at the creature as he just manages to sidestep the bite it aims for him. Keeping his eyes on the animal, he calls back to the men, "You could always call off this mutt of yours and surrender! You've already lost! Wouldn't you rather a quick death than running and starving like cowards?"

Faruq is very good at avoiding dogs, but he is spending to much time avoiding them. When the War Dogs come at them he reacts without thinking. Stepping over towards Miranda the diamondblade scimitar in his hands flashes out in an arc that hits the War Dog a glancing blow. It's enough to help knock it into the others attacks and the dog falls. As more arrows come out of the cave Faruq frowns: "We shall have to go in after them I think." He says to the others softly, trying not to speak to loudly: "We do not have the supplies for a seige and they have no reason to come out after us."

"Alright!" Jordan calls out to Valdemar, as he finds himself drenched in abyssal dog blood. He sneers, watching as yet another dog comes to contend with Valdemar in harm's way. He'll try to shove the alaricite sword into the creature's eye, when he notices the incoming horde. There are no words offered in return to the Gyre's men, or adding military thinking to the business. Just the arduous business of murdering this hell dog.

Flesh parts under the sting of Vitalis' whip, two strikes, laying the dog's hide open. Pained yelps stir regret, however tainted the creature. They didn't choose their regrettable fates. He ended it as quickly as he might. He steps back to strike again, the creature is still thrashing and an arrow hisses just past his nose, and he hisses himself, "For the love of-" Bellowing, "ARCHERS!" He ducks towards the fire to prise free a burning brand he can throw at their attackers and chase after it while they scatter.

Once more, and in some cases only by a hair, everyone is able to dodge the attacks coming after them. They are free to return attack. There is one dog, 4 men with swords, and two archers in the cave. It will take one round to get to the archers in the cave. @check dexterity + weapon skill at 30 - let me know who you are attacking, the 4 men wielding swords are smart enough to dodge, unlike the dogs.

Jordan checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 33 higher.

Valdemar checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 6 higher.

Miranda checked dexterity + stealth at difficulty 35, rolling 2 higher.

Faruq checked dexterity + small wpn at difficulty 40, rolling 11 higher.

Faruq checked dexterity + small wpn at difficulty 60, rolling 7 higher.

Vitalis prises a brand from the fire and hucks it at the cave entrance, cover for his charge after it. This will go flawlessly, no doubt...

Luis checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 27 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + archery at difficulty 30, rolling 7 lower.

Quenia has rolled 1 6-sided dice: 6

The place is in chaos! Battles are awesome that way. Miranda glances about, then places a gloved hand on Faruq's back, before he throws his knives, and says something to him. Then she crouches and moves swiftly, but quietly past the fire, using it to hide her movements from the archers and sword-clad men. She then makes her way past the campfire and, using the chaos of the battle, heads to a spot at the hill which she climbs, staying out of sight of the archers in the cave!

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 17 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 2 higher.

Jordan, Valdemar and Luis collectively work together to take down the final massive war dog. The dog didn't even see it coming! And, there's a slight squeal of puppy pain in the end when he dies, though that didn't keep him from SNARLING at all three, and SNAPPING at them. Meanwhile, Faruq attempts to throw knives, one at each archer. One archer manages to dodge the knife just fine, while the other takes a minor wound as it manages to slip in beneath his chest piece. He lets out a dark set of curses that would make any sailor blush. Meanwhile Vitalis. . . well, Vitalis tries to throw a flaming brand in the direction of the archers, and well. . . as he throws the brand, it slips from his fingers and the brand goes up, up, UP, and then down, down, DOWN - right on top of him. OUCH!

15 inflicted and Vitalis is unharmed.

Vitalis matches the former-Gyre-Pirate curse for curse, "Lagoma! I'm on Your side!"

Teeth bared, the angered (and slightly crisped) adventurer growls and charges into the cave regardless, slashing the whip as he goes. CRACK CRACK CRACK!

Quenia GM Roll checked perception(3) + survival(3) at difficulty 35, rolling 2 lower.

Quenia GM Roll checked perception(3) + survival(3) at difficulty 35, rolling 5 higher.

Quenia has rolled 1 5-sided dice: 2

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 16 higher.

Faruq draws two knives and whips them into the cave, trusting the others to deal with the sword wielding men and the last dog. There's the whistle of steel through the air as two knives go flashing through the air at the shadow shapes of the archers within. One of the knives at least manages to punch into the armor of one archer while the other misses: "Might as well come out! I've got a lot of knives!" He shouts at the archers in the cave, and in the process makes a huge target of himself to everyone else. Miranda's comments get a puzzled look but he nods to her briefly before she disappears to do... what she is going to do.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + archery(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 0 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 14 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + archery(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 22 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 11 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 25 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 4 lower.

Faruq checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 35 higher.

Valdemar checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 12 higher.

Miranda checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 9 higher.

Jordan checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 27 higher.

Luis checked dexterity + athletics at difficulty 30, rolling 21 higher.

29 inflicted and Vitalis is unharmed.

22 inflicted and Valdemar is unharmed.

21 inflicted and Miranda is unharmed.

With someone shooting an arrow at him, it takes maybe two heartbeats for Jordan to register it. But register it he does. His sword is still slick with the second dog's blood, and he lifts his shield just in time to catch the arrowtip to the metallic rim of the kite. Holding it front and center, now, he makes a running start to the shooter, the sword held low and to the side. "Ever Rising!" He shouts, ever the bannerman to House Ashford.

Faruq might not be the deadliest person in the party tonight, but he is by far the most annoying. He whirls away from the attacks that are levelled his way and smirks at the men with swords: "You realize the Gyre's dead right? We /killed/ him. You think you can do something now?" He tsks: "That's just silly." He looks towards the Archers, and where Vitalis ran off to: "I guess I'll go cover Vitalis' back. You three ok out here?"

Well, she made it onto the hill, but she just doesn't see or hear the arrow in time! Miranda hears that ffthhhpt of something moving in the air, turns her head to look and flattens herself on the hill, one arm going over the back of her neck, protecting the soft skin there. And yay for armor! She feels the impact of the arrow as it hits her side, but then *plink!* it bounces off her. She lifts her head and makes a run for the part of the hill that is just behind and above the mouth of the cave.

If he is dismayed by the failure of his fiery attack back...firing, Vitalis doesn't show it. No, he roars his defiance and charges, right into the blade of an attacker, the thick hide he wears turning the blade as Vitalis pushes past and on, those archers won't be taking pot shots with him around. He charges in, laying about himself with the whip as he goes, CRACK CRACK! His bellows reverberating on the cave's walls.

As the swordsmen come at them, Valdemar rushes toward them, adrenaline surging now that the great, tainted mutts are dead. "Grim!" he yells the battlecry of his house as he comes within reach of one of the former pirates, and before he can swing his own greatsword, his opponent finds an opening, or at least what looks like one. When the man's weapon clangs off the Grimhall heir's armor, the Mourning Islander gives him a wide grin and tells him, "Say hi to your 'king' for me."

With the last dog down, Luis breathes a little easier, giving the corpse s little kick towards the fire before turning to look at the advancing men, "Well now, things are a little simpler now, let's clean this group up and see that the Gyre has a little less hold in this place..." he grunts, flicking his sword to the side to set the abyssal blood to spraying a little line long the ground. He rushes the swordsmen that remain, joining the fray as his saber is used for parrying and catching the enemies' weapons so that he can finish them with his rapier as needed.

Jordan checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 26 higher.

Faruq checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 36 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 14 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 50, rolling 16 higher.

Jordan checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 50, rolling 6 lower.

Faruq checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 50, rolling 13 lower.

Luis checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 8 higher.

Luis checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 50, rolling 15 lower.

Valdemar checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 29 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 30, rolling 8 lower.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 30, rolling 10 lower.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 30, rolling 13 lower.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 30, rolling 8 higher.

It is all out chaos and battle! People fight the pirates, they fight each other, and they fight themselves! No, REALLY! They do! Or, maybe they stumble over things. It's hard to say, in the FOG OF WAR! Or, BATTLE! Since this is not a war. Jordan goes crashing into the cave, and startles the archer he is fighting. He falls backwards just as Jordan attempts to impale him. He manages to at least hit the archer, we'll call Joe. Joe still lives, but is giving Jordan a wide-eyed sort of look. But then Jordan makes for a second attack and his stumbles himself and nearly impales himself. It's only a flesh wound! Then Vitalis and Faruq come crashing into the cave to handle the other archer, the one that's already partially wounded. Between the two of them they seem to do a good job of beating him into a serious pulp with their weapons, but he still clings on to life. However in their continued attack somehow the archer manages to slip beween them and causes them to stumble, whereby their next attack, rather than going to the archer is held between the two of them. They are unable to pull back in time before wounding each other. Luis does a delicate dance with one of the swordsmen out in the open, very carefully maneuvering around him, and then the rocky footing beneath his feet gives way. This causes him to stumble and fall. Up until that point, he'd been doing well holding his own, but the swordsman had been holding him off - and remains unharmed. Meanwhile, Valdermar manages to seriously wound his swordsman, who manages to trip over the campfire in his attempts to get away from the battle.

It is all out chaos and battle! People fight the pirates, they fight each other, and they fight themselves! No, REALLY! They do! Or, maybe they stumble over things. It's hard to say, in the FOG OF WAR! Or, BATTLE! Since this is not a war. Jordan goes crashing into the cave, and startles the archer he is fighting. He falls backwards just as Jordan attempts to impale him. He manages to at least hit the archer, we'll call Joe. Joe still lives, but is giving Jordan a wide-eyed sort of look. But then Jordan makes for a second attack and his stumbles himself and nearly impales himself. It's only a flesh wound! Then Vitalis and Faruq come crashing into the cave to handle the other archer, the one that's already partially wounded. Between the two of them they seem to do a good job of beating him into a serious pulp with their weapons, but he still clings on to life - though he is very gravely wounded. However in their continued attack somehow the archer manages to slip beween them and causes them to stumble, whereby their next attack, rather than going to the archer is held between the two of them. They are unable to pull back in time before Faruq accidentally wounds Vitalis. Luis does a delicate dance with one of the swordsmen out in the open, very carefully maneuvering around him, and then the rocky footing beneath his feet gives way. This causes him to stumble and fall. Up until that point, he'd been doing well holding his own, but the swordsman had been holding him off - and remains unharmed. Meanwhile, Valdermar manages to seriously wound his swordsman, who manages to trip over the campfire in his attempts to get away from the battle.

30 inflicted and Luis is unharmed.

eanwhile, the two pirates NOT engaged in battle look at all this and say, "To the abyss with this. They're all crazy!" They take off running and head deeper into the grotto where there are even more caves, purportedly to go and hide in them.

Meanwhile, the two pirates NOT engaged in battle look at all this and say, "To the abyss with this. They're all crazy!" They take off running and head deeper into the grotto where there are even more caves, purportedly to go and hide in them.

26 inflicted and Vitalis is unharmed.

Miranda changes whtever plans she has after seeing the men enter the cave. Nevermind. She then begins to run down the hill towards the fight and as the two begin to run, raising her sword to take down, trip up, or cut off the feet of the runners. Oh no they don't!

Luis, stumbling, he rolls and comes up with his rapier in a closed gate position to protect himself should the pirate decide to follow up. Finding his footing, the man displays a nimbleness and strength that allows him to rise and move back again for the kill, "Runners!" he shouts to those around as two break off, attempting to figure out who is closest and what they'll need to do to get them, "I'm not interested in leaving living Gyre minions in my lands!"

Miranda has rolled a critical success!
Miranda checked dexterity + athletics at difficulty 30, rolling 32 higher.

Faruq goes charging into the cave hot on Vitalis heels. Boots stomp through the ground and as he charges the archers in the cave he yells out a whooping battle cry as he leaps through the air. Literally. The giant diamondplate blade is pulled back and then hacked down, chopping into the archer and drawing a significant wound onto the man. As he hits the ground and starts to skid he quickly lashes out in hopes to finish off the archer. That's when the cave floor has it's revenge. Jump on it? Oh no no no! Rocks go out from under his feet and his swing goes very wide, glancing off Vitalis armor and thankfully not catching flesh!

Miranda checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 25, rolling 15 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + athletics(2) at difficulty 45, rolling 25 lower.

With his opponent stumbling through the campfire in his attempt to escape battle, Valdemar presses the advantage...though he is a little more cautious than he might be otherwise, given that he does not want to end up in the flames himself. "I gave you a chance to make this clean and quick!" he reminds the man as he continues to attack, not about to leave this one behind to cause them trouble later.

12 inflicted and Jordan is unharmed.

CRACK CRACK! Life blood flows from ragged rents and blade wounds. The archers are gravely wounded. Sentinel's tits! What? No one's seen 'His' face. It could be. Faruq's blade thuds into Vitalis' chest and the adventurer grunts. Outside there are runners. Vitalis' head whips around, judging Faruq and Jordan more fit for foot races he growls, "Go. I'll do for these." Grim business calls for grim deeds. Vitalis moves up to one of the dying men, the one he and Faruq saw to and makes loops of his whip, slipping in under his guard to choke the breath from his lungs.

Sometimes, Jordan gets a little impulsive with his blows, which is likely why he almost stabs his own thigh with alaricite. Thank gods that his armor is made of diamondplate or that would've probably easily sank through. Instead, he gets a nasty bruise for his troubles. He stares at Vitalis for a moment, looking at the archer he's stabbed and flashing the man the most sardonic of little smiles before going on his merry way.

Quenia has rolled 1 2-sided dice: 2

"We ain't goin' down without a fight," one of the archers calls out. They both drop their bows and pull swords, seeming verstile in the types of weapons they use. And, maybe, because the strings of the bows broke when they were trying to dodge and get out of the way. One of the archers turned swordsman attacks Vitalis, the other attacks Jordan. Meanwhile Valdemar and Luis still battle it out with their folk. And then there's the shout RUNNERS! From Luis. This spurs Miranda into motion and she takes off running. Through some heroic feat of speed, she's able to catch up to one of the runners and do a running attack of swords. Meanwhile, the other runner puts in extra effort to get away from all the crazy, since Miranda is all distracted and all by his friend. Said friend turns around and tries to stab her with a hidden knife.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 4 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 0 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 13 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 10 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + medium wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 10 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(4) + small wpn(3) at difficulty 30, rolling 5 higher.

Valdemar checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 9 higher.

Miranda checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 13 higher.

Vitalis growls again, "Go!" He's confident he can take these men who are showing more life than he can choke out of them... he shakes the whip free, juding the distance between the two remaining attacks and strikes! CRACK! CRACK!

Faruq checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 23 higher.

Jordan checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 28 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 35 higher.

Vitalis checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 50, rolling 13 higher.

8 inflicted and Valdemar is unharmed.

Luis checked dexterity + dodge at difficulty 30, rolling 23 higher.

Feet pounding on the ground, Miranda catches up to at least one of the runners and swings Ruby, and strikes true! Her runner is slowing down, limping, blood flowing in his wake. Yet he puts up a fight and Miranda easily ducks and dodges. She stays focused and, despite still running, attacks him again! Her blade swinging at him in an effort to drop him, if not kill him.

Luis checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 27 higher.

Faruq checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 16 higher.

Valdemar checked dexterity + huge wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 2 higher.

Miranda checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 30, rolling 15 higher.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 30, rolling 4 lower.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 30, rolling 13 lower.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 30, rolling 1 lower.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 30, rolling 10 lower.

Vitalis' first strike lays open a ragged wound, raw and ruinous. His second strike slashes a corpse, laid open by Jordan's blade. Before they've even fallen, the Mazetti lord turns on his heel and dashes for the cave, scanning around to see what's become of the others.

Seriously wounding the pirate man that he is on, Luis gives him a look over, before he realizes that there's still the one runner. Training to run in plate is the soldier's life, "Someone see that our friend here gets a proper farewell!" Luis shouts, clearly not caring about the pirate, and then he takes off running, steel armor clanking here and there as he begins to hoof it after the other runner.

Quenia GM Roll checked dexterity(3) + dodge(2) at difficulty 35, rolling 25 higher.

Perhaps that caution is working against him, since Valdemar leaves himself open again. An opening that his foe does his best to take advantage of. His sword only finds rubicund, though, leaving the Grimhall heir the opportunity to lift his ancient greatsword overhead in an attempt to end the man in front of him. He doesn't quite manage it, cleaving into the man's shoulder instead of his neck, inflicting a gruesome wound.

She swings! She hits! Not. Miranda's swing is a bit off, not quite the right balance. Maybe she ought to have that dagger out. At any rate, she swings and despite the other man's injury, he manages to avoid her blade. "Stay still, Jackrabbit!" she growls at him.

Faruq regains his balance and he spins, slashing hard at one of the archers and the diamondplate sword sheers through flesh, bone, armor, it's all the same. As the Gyre worshipper falls apart Faruq looks over towards the others but the one who has such an advantage: "I could try but this ground hates me and keeps tripping me up. He has the abyss's own luck." He shakes his head but run rabbit, fox must chase... but... He frowns: "It's only one Luis. What threat can one be?" He asks curiously: "Send out a regular patrol should be enough for one man yeah?"

"Seriously, Mazetti? I had that," Jordan shakes his head at Vitalis before moving up to the man who was fighting Luis. He draws the sword back, then stabs it forward to catch the man on the neck, finishing him off. Then he'll start on his way to the others.

"I was acting on a state plan," the Mazetti lord grates. "That you changed has no bearing on me," he sets off where he can see a scuffle with Miranda and... where is that last Gyre... Grrrrrrr.

[EDIT] ...acting on a stated plan."

Luis continues, clank, clank, clankity clank clankin clanker clink clank! But it's clear he won't catch up to the other man tonight, instead he stops when he catches up to Miranda and her man, "So then, what you'll want to do to kill him, is get him there, in the chest a little lower than there. It's a softer spot, less chance of sliding off the ribs," he begins to explain, as though giving Miranda a lesson while the Pirate and her square off.

Luis checked command + teaching at difficulty 30, rolling 26 higher.

Unfortunately for Luis the one runner that kept on running has disappeared into the warrens of caves that he's had months to navigate. He gets away. The two archers are killed, and there's a gravely injured swordsman that Valdemar dispatches soon enough. With concentrated effort between all members, those that remain who are seriously wounded can be killed as well. That leaves the one gone, alive, and probably not forgotten. A good night's work, all in all.

Miranda eyes Luis a moment before she gives him a huff and swings her sword at her runner. He looks a bit shocked, really, but she adds a kick to his chest and he topples. She heaves in a breath, points her sword at the dead man and eyeballs Luis. "Like that, my Lord?" It comes out very serious.... until she starts to smirk, just a bit...

"It'll do. But he was just a simple man..," Luis notes with a grin then walks with her back towards the others, "Ah, yes, he is but one man, however I do not like the idea of telling my people that not all of their night terrors are dead and dealt with. That we got all the dogs does fill me with no small manner of joy, however we will still need to be vigilant and continue to scour this area to be sure that was all of them. The last thing I wish to leave is a resistance that builds over time... the abyss is a tricky and slippery sort," he forebodes.

Vitalis trots up to where Miranda has dispatched the last of the remaining pirates, grim and bespattered with blood. He wipes his face and looks back at the cave entrances. "Did anyone see where the last got to?" He winces, working his shoulder and surveying the bloodied grounds, fire still blazing. They still have work to do.

Miranda follows Luis and nods, letting him speak. She looks to Vitalis and points in the general direction that he fled to. "I lost him, sorry." She means it, but offers a shrug. She glances about, "Should we bury them or ... burn them. What's the plan for the bodies? Also, can you get someone in to cleanse the caves or something? Maybe look into them?"



Back to list